System Build Advice Needed - 2008 Mercury Mariner

Solace64

Okay guys, I have a 2008 Mercury Mariner with the In-Dash Navigation and the "premium" sound package. I believe the stock system is 4 - 5x7's in the 4 doors, tweeters built into the fronts, and then the stock sub in the back. One of the front speakers blew, so I replaced the two front speakers with Memphis Audio Coaxial 5x7's.

At this point I want more out of the system, so I am looking for advice.

I listen to Heavy Metal / Hard Rock so I like a quick clear punch from my bass, not long and drawn out. I also am looking for high quality sound, not just something that is loud. I'm fairly new to car audio so I don't really know which direction I should go in.

What sub(s) / amp combo should I look for? As I said before I want it to be loud and hit hard, but still be clean.

It's a given I'll replace the stock speakers in the rear doors, but do I need an amp for the door speakers?

Thanks for any advice, like I said Im a newbie so I appreciate it.

Vince.

you need a budget to work with. yes you'll need an amp. find a nice comp set for the front and move the coax's to the back. i think you'd like a couple 10's. .... maaaybe 12's. i think anything bigger and they'll start to get too "boomy" of a sound for you.

Well, my intent wasn't necessarily to do it all at once, but possibly in stages. I like to purchase things right the first time, so good high quality components, while being within reason.

I know that's not a exactly budget, but does it help at all?

To be honest, I'm not even familiar with the price points of quality components. Would $1000 be realistic for a good Component set for the front, plus subs and amp?

P.S. I almost forgot to mention I have a set of 10" Sony Explode subs, with an amp as well that I got for free and were in my old car. Are these crap, or decent subs? I believe they are ... Sony XS-L102P5

the first thing i would do is buy atleast 50+sqft of sounddeadener do the front doors really well and then the back hatch this will help increase the midbass in the front sealing the backwave off the best you can will help as well. the forum has a lot of good info on increasing sq in your front stage just use the search function. instal is very important so take your time with this. i would reccomend getting a decent amp for the front stage as well and if you are keeping the factory hu get a nice eq with crossovers to really tailor your sound.once you get the front stage complete start with the sub stage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.