Sundown sa15 rattling sound

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have not. I tried holding the sub down and wiggling the magnets and they did not budge.
another thing, they played fine while making the noise for months, but I have to recone one so I’m just doing them both because the one that needs reconed is the one I have not reconed.
the one in the video is the one I reconed.
also, the vibration frequency doesn’t seem to change with volume/frequency the sub is playing. There’s only 4 parts to a subwoofer and some bolts so something other than the voice coil has to be slightly off.

could it be interference from my power and rcas being touching the whole length of the car? My abs lights came on when I ran the power near the abs solenoid, so I know it affects that but idk about rcas.

Okay. So if I do go the route of recone on both, and they still make that noise
You can’t hear it in the cab unless it’s a high pitch note at very low volume
But do you think it could continue to destroy voice coils?
I found2 of the same subs I have now in sundown garage sale for $460, I just don’t want to order them and they need reconed anyway, when I could have saved $460 and reconed the ones I have. Ive been looking for a diagram or a picture of these subs to see what the basket looks like under the spider because I genuinely cannot remember if there are accessible bolts there that may have rattled loose.

Sounds to me like the coils are seperated. Did you shim them properly when you put them in? Ive seen them put paper shims to give the coils space foe movement so they dont rub or off center? Deff sounds like the Coils are unraveled or seperated to me

Yes I did. I used printer paper,13 sheets to be exact, cut them down so it didn’t overlap, and placed them inside the voice coil, then set the whole thing down, waited 24 hours to remove the shims.
I think I am just going to recone them honestly.
I did a little bit of research and found that sundown uses a plastic heat ring that goes on top of the basket, under the spider, with bolts to hold the basket to the motor underneath it. I’m going to take a look at that too while I’m in there if I can find the new heat ring (I don’t remember the legit name of it) it’s just glued down so my thoughts are 1.) that’s cracked/split causing it to rattle against the motor and 2.) vc is more fried than chicken in Kentucky.
It’ll be 2 and a half weeks before I get to even order parts, but if y’all want I can update with my findings when I tear them down.

Yes I did. I used printer paper,13 sheets to be exact, cut them down so it didn’t overlap, and placed them inside the voice coil, then set the whole thing down, waited 24 hours to remove the shims.
I did a little bit of research and found that sundown uses a plastic heat ring that goes on top of the basket, under the spider, with bolts to hold the basket to the motor underneath it. I’m going to take a look at that too while I’m in there if I can find the new heat ring (I don’t remember the legit name of it) it’s just glued down so my thoughts are 1.) that’s cracked/split causing it to rattle against the motor and 2.) vc is more fried than chicken in Kentucky.
It’ll be 2 and a half weeks before I get to even order parts, but if y’all want I can update with my findings when I tear them down.
Man.. Id be interested within the findings. Im always eager to learn and try to understand new things and issues as resolving them. That would be pretty interesting to have a build log/ Tear down Build log.

Would it hurt the dvc2ohm to only use 1 voice coil? It’s the only way I can run 1 15 on my 2 ohm amp
You can run One coil.. It will only be 1/2 the RMS value..Example 1krms-1/2 would be 500rms. Ive got old subs that one coil is out a bit and ill run a single coil at half the rms value without any issues as a last result sub for years

The plastic heat ring is a spider spacer. If the recones you got required a ring to be used and took that into account, the coil isn’t centered properly height wise. This could result in bottoming them out but in your case the cone is barely moving and they making noise lol. If you are willing to tear them apart, do it now 😈. Post a pic of the outside of the coil (windings side) and inside of the coils from the bottom where the winding are. We can eliminate an alignment issue real quick just from that.

The plastic heat ring is a spider spacer. If the recones you got required a ring to be used and took that into account, the coil isn’t centered properly height wise. This could result in bottoming them out but in your case the cone is barely moving and they making noise lol. If you are willing to tear them apart, do it now 😈. Post a pic of the outside of the coil (windings side) and inside of the coils from the bottom where the winding are. We can eliminate an alignment issue real quick just from that.

mom thinking about tearing the one that’s worse down right now and running one destroyed 15 until I can get parts, then go from there.
mom so damn curious it’s gonna irritate meuntil I find out exactly what it is
Also for djdilliodon! That ring didn’t come out for the recone it’s not touched. I’m just worried the bolts underneath it maybe backed out

mom thinking about tearing the one that’s worse down right now and running one destroyed 15 until I can get parts, then go from there.
mom so damn curious it’s gonna irritate meuntil I find out exactly what it is
Also for djdilliodon! That ring didn’t come out for the recone it’s not touched. I’m just worried the bolts underneath it maybe backed out

if it’s the ring between frame and motor, that’s why I asked if you took the frame off cause it sounds like that spacer ring for added cooling is making the noise. Only one way to find out, tear it down !

if it’s the ring between frame and motor, that’s why I asked if you took the frame off cause it sounds like that spacer ring for added cooling is making the noise. Only one way to find out, tear it down !
I am curious to see what it is myself. Be an interesting break down

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...