Sundown sa15 rattling sound

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ajf23

CarAudio.com Recruit
Ohio
So I currently have 2 sa15s on a taramps 3k
I’ve had one woofer for over a year, and other for about 7 months and I want to say they sound fantastic. Thought about going with SKAR but happy I stuck with sundown.
Anyway, I’m having an issue with both subs making a rattling sound. Like a penny in a glass bottle type sound. Both subs are doing it, the sub I’ve had for Over a year has been doin it for about 6 months. I’ve since reconed the woofer and it still makes the sound. I’m getting ready to recone and upgrade the system (meaning build a custom box instead of 2 separate boxes, and fixing this damn rattling noise). Doing the recone on both because my newer one is on its last limb. I ran them on a skar rp2000, where I was reckless with listening volume, then a cheap amazon amp where I was also reckless with the volume.
the rattling isn’t audible from the drivers seat at regular volumes at all, and they still pound. It is audible at low volumes from my seat though. When you open the trunk it’s audible at all volume levels.
so it’s persisted through multiple amps and Has been happening for months.
so things that I know it’s not, voice coil, box, and amp being I’ve tested it or changed it out with no difference in the sound. Is it common for the magnets to vibrate loose after prolonged and excessive abuse? Like extreme abuse I honestly beat the **** out of these woofers I’m not gonna act like I don’t. I’ve blown 2 rp200s up on these subs, so extreme abuse. If I shake the hell out of the subs sometimes it will do it.
Also, I’ve read at about interference between rcas and power wires. I’m running 0awg ofc Rockford Fosgate power and ground. Rcas ran directly beside them, actually zip tied to it the whole length of the vehicle.
any help is appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this all. Just want to figure out what the problem is so I can decide next steps for the project.

Last edited:
They are in prefab boxes from atrend, not sure on the exact dimensions, but gross volume is around 4.3 and it’s tuned to I believe ~43.
definetely not the ideal box but haven’t gotten around to building a custom box yet.

I’m looking into the x15s, but that’s something I have to save up for. Looking to get these sa15s bumping in the meantime
The SA 10s and 12s I had didnt take more than rated at all. You may be powering them over theyre limitations. They are not an SPL type sub.. more of an Entry type woofer. I ended up with several enclosures and never could get what i wanted out of mine with alot of money spent on enclosures. Bought some A.Bass XFL subs.. and never looked back. Those still slamm theyre azzes off today

I’m looking into the x15s, but that’s something I have to save up for. Looking to get these sa15s bumping in the meantime
You running those subs sealed or Ported and tuned? If ported and tuned.. what are the dimensions of each enclosure and tuning? If sealed, what are the dimensions of each sealed enclosure?

They are in prefab boxes from atrend, not sure on the exact dimensions, but gross volume is around 4.3 and it’s tuned to I believe ~43.
definetely not the ideal box but haven’t gotten around to building a custom box yet.
Atrend make some Shittty boxes. I bought a single under the seat down fire ported enclosure from them that was supposed to be tuned to 36HTZ and fit an Audiotechnix 12. I got it and it seemed to be tuned to close to 40-45 htz and I had to rebuild the end cap due to the depth that wasnt as specified by specs and was off approx. 1.5" to have the magnet clearance with at least 1/2" from the bottom.It was damaged upon arrival. I contacted them and they said that I needed to leave a 5 star review before taking care of my situation and that it wouldnt be easy for me to get good service and shipments in the future. I told them to goFk themselves

Yea I probably won’t be buying from them again. It’s cheaper to build the exact box that I need than to purchase them.

Do you have any tools to work with at all?? Like a Drill a hammer and caulk gun? Look into the Glue and Screw Tuned enclosures at GP Audio. Ive gotten several from them and they are easy to put together with easy to read instructions with a little bit of time and worth the money spent

Yes, I actually have all of that. Will need to get screws and glue but.
i will look into that for sure, was going to custom build the box to cover the floor of my trunk, subs facing up port facing back tuned a little lower than recommended, being that my current box(es) slam 33hz and above but I listen to allot of music lower than 33 and those are the notes I want to deafen Me.

For the Price of those X15s.. Id take a look at these Beast for the money being spent

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...