Sundown sa15 rattling sound

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I currently have 2 sa15s on a taramps 3k
I’ve had one woofer for over a year, and other for about 7 months and I want to say they sound fantastic. Thought about going with SKAR but happy I stuck with sundown.
Anyway, I’m having an issue with both subs making a rattling sound. Like a penny in a glass bottle type sound. Both subs are doing it, the sub I’ve had for Over a year has been doin it for about 6 months. I’ve since reconed the woofer and it still makes the sound. I’m getting ready to recone and upgrade the system (meaning build a custom box instead of 2 separate boxes, and fixing this damn rattling noise). Doing the recone on both because my newer one is on its last limb. I ran them on a skar rp2000, where I was reckless with listening volume, then a cheap amazon amp where I was also reckless with the volume.
the rattling isn’t audible from the drivers seat at regular volumes at all, and they still pound. It is audible at low volumes from my seat though. When you open the trunk it’s audible at all volume levels.
so it’s persisted through multiple amps and Has been happening for months.
so things that I know it’s not, voice coil, box, and amp being I’ve tested it or changed it out with no difference in the sound. Is it common for the magnets to vibrate loose after prolonged and excessive abuse? Like extreme abuse I honestly beat the **** out of these woofers I’m not gonna act like I don’t. I’ve blown 2 rp200s up on these subs, so extreme abuse. If I shake the hell out of the subs sometimes it will do it.
Also, I’ve read at about interference between rcas and power wires. I’m running 0awg ofc Rockford Fosgate power and ground. Rcas ran directly beside them, actually zip tied to it the whole length of the vehicle.
any help is appreciated, thank you for taking the time to read this all. Just want to figure out what the problem is so I can decide next steps for the project.

An rp2000.1 isn't going to kill those subs unless you are consistently sending them to "clip city." It sounds like an inside port wall may have came loose IMO. Have you ever smelled something while playing your subs?

An rp2000.1 isn't going to kill those subs unless you are consistently sending them to "clip city." It sounds like an inside port wall may have came loose IMO. Have you ever smelled something while playing your subs?

I agree, unless the recone was done wrong it sounds to me like the enclosure is actually making the noise. Could always pull the subs and free air test them.

So the subs are DVC2 ohm? Have you tried pushing down on the cones to see if you hear or feel and scratching at all?
It is the dvc2ohm.
I have pushed them in and they move like they did when new, no scratching sounds or binding anywhere. And no smells. I check on them regularly to be sure
they also make the samerattling sound in free air, so the enclosure might definetely need upgraded but it’s not the enclosure making the noise.
also, I killed 2 of the amps, the amp didn’t kill 2 subs.
that amp ran them perfectly other than it being a .5 ohm load on a 1ohm stable amp. And they definetely got sent to clip city, voltage regularly dropped below 12 on the volt meter, so I’m not sure how low they actually got.

It is the dvc2ohm.
I have pushed them in and they move like they did when new, no scratching sounds or binding anywhere. And no smells. I check on them regularly to be sure
they also make the samerattling sound in free air, so the enclosure might definetely need upgraded but it’s not the enclosure making the noise.
also, I killed 2 of the amps, the amp didn’t kill 2 subs.
that amp ran them perfectly other than it being a .5 ohm load on a 1ohm stable amp. And they definetely got sent to clip city, voltage regularly dropped below 12 on the volt meter, so I’m not sure how low they actually got.
So you actually pulled the subs and did a FREE AIR TEST on Each Sub? And they did the same thing? If so..Those subs prob were not rebuilt properly and have a mechanical failure,or on the way out to being trashed for another recone/rebuild. Rebuild them properly or buy some new subs and learn the limitations of your Audio

I just got home from work. I’m about to yank one sub out and post the video.
I don’t mind doing a recone on them but if there’s something else wrong while I’m I’m there I don’t want to waste money on parts or be over a week without bass

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...