Sundown SA - Same league as Fi / Incriminator / AA?

Waits for IA to build a flatlyne on steroids.. LolSay a 4" x 1.5" coil with a neo 4" topplate. Hehe.. One of those cool *** drivers no one would appreciate cuz they rather have a warden.. Hehe
I'm still waiting to see how Jacob's 5" coil neo XBL^2 SQ sub turns out.

The ONLY thing I miss about switching from my SAs to LIs is a little trunk space but that's it... My next build will be with IA woofers. I kinda wanna get a couple DRs but don't know if it'll be a noticeable upgrade on a ts3.5k. Might wait a while and get another amp to strap and a couple DPs.

The ONLY thing I miss about switching from my SAs to LIs is a little trunk space but that's it... My next build will be with IA woofers. I kinda wanna get a couple DRs but don't know if it'll be a noticeable upgrade on a ts3.5k. Might wait a while and get another amp to strap and a couple DPs.
In my experience with switching from one series to the next like that is that it's not that noticeable of a difference. Switching to the DP series probably would be, but my guess would be you'd have to build a really efficient box and maximize any excursion difference between the subs. At least that's been my experience with other subs.

i like XBL motors myself. 4" coil about 2" tall would be pretty sweet. 5" coil ouch talk about alot of masss..
Yeah, but the WW should be quite short and weight and at most comparable to some of these high power underhung designs or even compared to certain well regarded 4" LMT designs. I don't remember right off the expected power handling, but unless you mess with a ridiculous top plate and the complications from that you're pretty limited in the way to increase thermal power handling with xbl^2.....heavier coils do have their place when aiming for target parameters whether it's power handling or balancing out other parameters.

In my experience with switching from one series to the next like that is that it's not that noticeable of a difference. Switching to the DP series probably would be, but my guess would be you'd have to build a really efficient box and maximize any excursion difference between the subs. At least that's been my experience with other subs.
if you not gaining much from the DPs you might not be getting as much power as you thought, the DP with 3.5 should sound better and have more dynamic output strictly from the increased xmax and lower power compression.

Yeah, but the WW should be quite short and weight and at most comparable to some of these high power underhung designs or even compared to certain well regarded 4" LMT designs. I don't remember right off the expected power handling, but unless you mess with a ridiculous top plate and the complications from that you're pretty limited in the way to increase thermal power handling with xbl^2.....heavier coils do have their place when aiming for target parameters whether it's power handling or balancing out other parameters.
personally i always keep mass as low as possible. it naturally lends to better efficiency and lower distortion. some designs do benefit from added mas but more often that no in the high throw woofers today getting enough mass isn't a problem..

XBL designs do offer less electrical power handling per stroke but it can be altered and using a larger winding and copper does offer added benefit as copper gives you typically higher power compression over the aluminum coils and gives you much more motor strength over the aluminum coils.

the thing i like about under-hung is you can dial in the amount of mass and power handling for any given stroke, but it beccomes very expensive and can take a ton of saturation causing the mototrs to be bigger than SPL monsters..

and they can keep that LMS tech.. ill take the dual coil single gap topology first..

And he can bench 315lbs
My max bench is 215 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

This is the first time I've opened this thread because I wasn't interested in the title.

Saw it in the top 10 a lot and figured I'd see what the fuss was about. Based on the first and last pages, I'd guess it was another classic thread where many people argue that the sub they like is better than other brands that they've never used.

Was I right, or does anyone have clifs?

Saw it in the top 10 a lot and figured I'd see what the fuss was about. Based on the first and last pages, I'd guess it was another classic thread where many people argue that the sub they like is better than other brands that they've never used.
In regards to the topic title I don't think anyone agreed that the SA was better than Fi or AA.
Seemed like the general consensus was good product but there might be better options for the price (on the X series and higher most people recommended the yardsale to make it worth the price)

In regards to the topic title I don't think anyone agreed that the SA was better than Fi or AA.
Seemed like the general consensus was good product but there might be better options for the price (on the X series and higher most people recommended the yardsale to make it worth the price)
Ok, I appreciate it.

Yeah, the yardsale is great. I wonder why other companies dont do the same

Honestly I think it was a good post. It wasn't really about the fact of sa vs IA or anything really it was about the fact that why the sa choose a 2" coil over 3.

I honestly don't think one design is better than the other. Both are good woofers..

My max bench is 215 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
This is the first time I've opened this thread because I wasn't interested in the title.

Was I right, or does anyone have clifs?
Cliff notes:

Basically, was wondering if the SA was as good as Fi / IA.

Consensus seems to be that's it's close, but not quite the same quality. But, it does seem to hang in there in terms of output and durability. Plus, Jacob pointed out that it has a lot of benefits that you don't necessarily get with other subs in terms of R&D.

End result, all the above mentioned drivers are great subs for single sub setups with their own tweaks.

Enter the planning phase for loss33 vs LosIsATool round 1

if you not gaining much from the DPs you might not be getting as much power as you thought, the DP with 3.5 should sound better and have more dynamic output strictly from the increased xmax and lower power compression.
I meant between the Lethal Injection and the Death Row. The Death Penalty should be a decent step up from the LI's. Atleast that's what I was trying to say

Cliff notes:
Basically, was wondering if the SA was as good as Fi / IA.

Consensus seems to be that's it's close, but not quite the same quality. But, it does seem to hang in there in terms of output and durability. Plus, Jacob pointed out that it has a lot of benefits that you don't necessarily get with other subs in terms of R&D.

End result, all the above mentioned drivers are great subs for single sub setups with their own tweaks.

Enter the planning phase for loss33 vs LosIsATool round 1
Gotcha.

There's a few people that Derek doesn't get along with. Nothing new.

I meant between the Lethal Injection and the Death Row. The Death Penalty should be a decent step up from the LI's. Atleast that's what I was trying to say
i c. yea its not a huge step up but its a good option for increase longevity with alittle more output.. the DP is a bad MOFO. feed it 2500 and she will POUND..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.