Sundown audio 10" in sealed box, vs ported

For those of you who may remember me, I finally have my sundown audio installed. The problem? My 150wrms kicker had more boom...

The sub is in a cubic foot sealed box. The excursion on it is crazy, but it is not loud and I can hardly feel it. Will a ported box solve this problem?

My kicker in a ported box getting about 300rms flexed my mirror 4 times as much, and could be felt and heard very clearly.

I bought this sub because I believed it would be able to perform much better, but it has not in the box I have. I'm not sure if it is just the box in this case or not, I have seen these subs on youtube flexing roofs, doors and winshield wipers.

So any helpful tips/advice/info?

if its the SA yes they belong in ported boxes all those videos you see are in ported boxes. second everycar has different accoustics what rattles one cars mirror might be some tiny little thump in another.

what amp are you using to power the sundown?

what VC configuration is your sub and how do you have it wired?

It's an SA-10 600wrms wired to two ohms on a hifonics amp which puts out 1000wrms at two ohms. I have the amp gain up roughly 60% and it plays perfectly as far as excursion goes.

D4 voice coil.

** The D2 voice coil specs say sealed is recommended, the D4 which i have specs say it should be ported. I thought that was a bit weird.

It is in a single cab truck, it **** well better be able to flex the hell out of my mirrors lol

It's an SA-10 600wrms wired to two ohms on a hifonics amp which puts out 1000wrms at two ohms. I have the amp gain up roughly 60% and it plays perfectly as far as excursion goes. D4 voice coil.

** The D2 voice coil specs say sealed is recommended, the D4 which i have specs say it should be ported. I thought that was a bit weird.

It is in a single cab truck, it **** well better be able to flex the hell out of my mirrors lol
i had a 10" zv4 on 2200watts in my singlecab and my mirrors didnt flex lol. go ported forsure that should deffinately help. but it can be the acoustics of the truck is it in a wedge box or a regular box?? i had a HO alt, 2 agm batteries and 1/0 ofc cable as you see in the video this setup cost me over $2k. and my single hds312 in my mazda on 1200watts 4gauge and stock electrical is louder. i have no idea why but it just is.

heres a vid of it my truck barely moved box was 1.8 tuned to 32hz with a 4x15 aero

http://youtu.be/gdd9vj5ZzkU

I have a SA-12 running on a SAE-600D , so around 600 watt rms. It's louder than I ever imagined. I went with a 2cube box, ported of course. My friend who used to be real big in car audio said getting a truck loud is hard. Just the way they are, since you don't have a trunk to sit it in. But my 12" definitely rattles my mirrors and windows. Sitting in the back seat of my Dodge Dakota, ext cab.

Running the D2 at 1 ohm

The box is pretty much rectangular, I think its something like 10"x13" base x about 16" high or so ish. Sub is centered facing forward in my single cab.

The mirrors barely flex at all. It was much louder with my kicker

The box is pretty much rectangular, I think its something like 10"x13" base x about 16" high or so ish. Sub is centered facing forward in my single cab.
The mirrors barely flex at all. It was much louder with my kicker
was the kicker in the same location? try flipping the sub around and aim it at the rear wall so the sound waves reflect off of it. for some reason in trunk cars having the sub and port about 6" from the rear is louder than having them closer to the front

Both subs are located in the same area. The kicker was in a slightly angled box with the port, the sundown is in a box that stands straight up so no angle. Both were facing towards the windshield and were behind my passenger seat.

The box was indeed custom made

I think im going to end up doing that.

My problem though is even if the sub is in a sealed box, it's 4 times as powerful so I had expected it to be louder than my other one but it is nowhere close

I think im going to end up doing that.
My problem though is even if the sub is in a sealed box, it's 4 times as powerful so I had expected it to be louder than my other one but it is nowhere close
power doesnt mean anything if its not in its intended application. use sundowns free box plan if possible

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.