Subwoofers Won't Work on Working Amplifier? HELP

Participant count
  • Participant list

Thampy16

I have two alpine type r 12 in dual voice coil 4 ohm subs that I haven't been able to listen to. I'm too stubborn to take it to an audio shop, and the closest one is miles away. So I was wondering if someone could help me out. I ran my multimeter on the outer terminals and got a 2.4 ohm reading (which is what I wanted) and my continuity test also came back with a resistance of a single digit 2! I'm very flustered and hooked them up to my friends amp that I know works and is very much capable of powering my subs. Please help!

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

I can post photos and take a sub out of box if need be

SO both coils read fine, but it won't play? Can you push on the cone and move it, or is the sub seized up?

If the coils read fine, the amp works, the sub moves when you push on it, and the motor is magnetized (T Fade got a sub one time that wasn't magnetized //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif but that's rare) there shouldn't be an issue.

Is your friend's amp the only amp you've tried it on, or do you have one you've tried it on, too?

If you have an amp of your own that you've tried it on, can you try any other sub(s) on your amp?

Troubleshooting anything is often all about isolating variables and swapping things out until your solution is found

A 4 ohm sub shouldn't read 2.4 ohms....unless the batteries in your dmm are going bad giving you bad readings or tested them wrong with your dmm. Not saying you did but is possible. It should be something closer to 3.8 or so. I have a dual 2 ohm sub and I got 1.7 from my dmm.

You can do a simple test with any size battery to see if the sub is good by hooking up speaker wires from the sub to the battery. the subs cone should move outward a little. That means it's good. If it moves inward, reverse the polarity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.