Subwoofers get quite then loud again

II86

CarAudio.com Newbie
ayden
hey i have a simple question with
Hopefully a simple answer now the setup I have going is not practical I know i know that I don't have them running in a efficient way but any how I have taramps hd3000 1 ohm to a power acoustic mofo 122x dvc 2ohm @ 4ohm and a rockville db15 running a power acoustic mofo 122x dvc 2 ohm @ 4 ohms big 3 upgrade with a 6 phase hairpin alternator that's 250 amps and a pyle 5 farad cap and a blockshakers 1400w 55 ah battery i tride both subwoofers on the taramps and both on the rockville nether sounding as they should so i hooked them individually to the separate amplifiers now i noticed when i have the gain turned all the way down on one it's loud when i turn up the gain half way it gets quieter when i turn it up all the way it gets loud again but not as loud as it should or even as loud as the one alone when connected to the taramps i hooked it up @ 2 ohms my battery puts out 13.8 volts and when i connected them to the rockville db 15 it was also at 2 ohms any help would be appreciated thank you.

Update found out i needed 150 ah batteries I have 110 ah so I guess I need another battery? Any help would be great this is a car audio forum right?

Last edited:
Sure. Don't run mix matched subwoofers and amps together. (y)
Well I Hooked two mofo 122x to a rockville amplifier it didn't sound right so I hooked it up to a taramps and it still didn't sound right preaty sure that's not mix matching the amp is off one brand the subwoofers are of another people use differnt brand of amplifiers to a different brand subwoofer all the time

Ok so I went to professional they said the amp and subs are fine together but I don't have enough ah on batteries just want to check here cause I've had problems with supposed pros before would that make the gain drop as you turn up the gain half way and then the gain go back up when you raise the knob to full

Well I Hooked two mofo 122x to a rockville amplifier it didn't sound right so I hooked it up to a taramps and it still didn't sound right preaty sure that's not mix matching the amp is off one brand the subwoofers are of another people use differnt brand of amplifiers to a different brand subwoofer all the time
Yep. This is precisely why I didn't touch this thread the first go round. Your first problem is you are mixing and matching amps on your subs but since you already know better then why are you even here asking us?

Let's see some pictures of what's going on here.

So that taramps which is your bigger amp is rated at 2355 @ 2ohm 13.8. Have to factor box rise too so you mayYay be at close to 2k watts Totaal.

those subs per amazon ask for 1350 watts rms. Might be underpowering them. did you set the proper gain level on the taramps?

Please people I don't need criticized about the way I have it hooked up i know I'm trying to find out what the power issue is a started before I hooked the two subwoofers up alone to one amp no other amps installed gave me issues so I completely disconnected that amp nothing at all connected now and hooked up a complete different amp to the subwoofers still no other amp connected same issue still i have had plenty of people verify that these products work great together again if you could please just answer my question when I turn the gain half way up it starts getting loud then dims towards the middle when i get to max it gets loud again if some one could help with that i would be greatly if you just want to criticize me don't respond at all just help only

So that taramps which is your bigger amp is rated at 2355 @ 2ohm 13.8. Have to factor box rise too so you mayYay be at close to 2k watts Totaal.

those subs per amazon ask for 1350 watts rms. Might be underpowering them. did you set the proper gain level on the taramps?
I tride them with a db 15 as well cause I thought of that sorry it's a rockville db15 but I had the same issue and I've seen videos of people with the same setup and it sound great could it be a power issue with the rockville not enough amp hour or something battery wise that is

Curse it sounded allot clearer and lost than mine on my house system witch is good enough to hear if something that was recorded sounded bad as it was being recorded if a subwoofer sounds terrible when it is recorded theirs know amount of clean up you can do to regain the sound quality during play back

Ok so I went to professional they said the amp and subs are fine together but I don't have enough ah on batteries just want to check here cause I've had problems with supposed pros before would that make the gain drop as you turn up the gain half way and then the gain go back up when you raise the knob to full
You've got a weird setup, but this language you're using about the gain knob is probably the biggest problem. It's not a volume knob, you can ruin your equipment very easily without ever turning the gain up if your signal source is super large. There is no "half way up, all the way up" meaning in terms of volume, it's not a percentage scale, it's a pre-out voltage scale. If you've got a pre-out voltage of 4v then set it to 4 and fine-tune it from there to avoid clips. You're using two differents amps which have different scales on their gain knobs so that one position in no way represents what the other one should be at.

This all begs the question though, if your subs are 1350W each and you've got 2 amps, why in the world are you not just running the HD3000 in 1ohm mode and powering both in parallel from it? The Rockville has no place in this system. Nevermind just saw they're DVC, but I'd still say power them both with the taramps at 2ohms, having two amps involved is going to complicate everything. They share an airspace, you may even be experiencing a phase shift between the two brands, I've heard Taramps defaults to reverse speaker wiring so it's possible as one contracts the other expands. Even if not, it's a bad idea to have them sharing airspace.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.