Subwoofer Setup Opinions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

principle

Dallas
I have a JBL 300w amp (GT5-A3011) powering a JBL 1000 in a sealed box.

I just got a great deal on two Boston Acoustic G5s (G512-44, 4ohm dvc) in a custom ported box. A new amp is out of the budget right now, so I'm wondering what your opinion is on setup.

Should I wire both G5s so they're 4ohm at the amp (~100wrms to each sub), or should I put one of them in my sealed box and wire it at 2ohm (~300wrms to the sub)?

I'm looking for the best combination of loud and clean, with a slight favor to being loud - My interior speakers already sound great.

Thanks for your help! Please let me know if you need any clarification on anything.

**Edited to add - Car is a 2 door Kia Forte

I'd run them both in the ported box. But then I couldn't stand having another one sit there till I got a new amp. Lol! You're going to get more output just from the fact it's a ported box and cone area alone. The G5's should still sound nice even with only 100 watts on them.

Nice subs btw. G5's are on my "get" list before they become extinct.

Awesome, thanks for the response - That's what I was hoping. I'm using a screwdriver so I'm trying to avoid loosening and tightening a bunch of screws in 1" MDF to try different setups. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

On the G5s.. Craigslist still has some gems every once in a while! Just some cosmetic scratches on the foam. I tested them individually when I picked them up and they sound great.

Time to go out and rewire them, thanks again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.