Subwoofer Sensitivity

Robert,

I am not telling you what to do, but if I were you I would ask some opinion of some of the guys that have more experiance than the noobs that are giving yoiu advice here. there are som very wise guys (men) on here. also read up in the subeoofer forum, I am sure you will find a bunch of other better options than the ones you have picked.

yust my 0.02

on top ascend.. said typically higher sen, subs can't handle the higher power amps. As you increase stiffness (spiders, surrounds...) you lessen the sen. but then typically you gain control and power handling.
minor correction ;p

stiffness of spiders and surrounds doest give a speaker higher power handling,

sensitivity has nothing to do with the stiffness.. dynamically perhaps, but you'll never see a kms graph outside a klippel report which you'll never get from an mfr.

sensitivity is simple the BL^2/re with respect to the moving mass and cone size...

its important, but you also have to account for final system sensitivity which is a frequency domain issue.... inductance, system alignment, EQ... ported vs sealed, etc etc.....

generally if you can get high sensitivity, and high xmax, you're in great shape.... they are typically mutually exclusive to some large degree........

generally if you can get high sensivtiy, and high xmax, you're in great shape.... they are typcially mutually exclusive to some degree........

i dont understand subwoofer sensitivty, is higher better or is lower better??? like my 12.1 inifnties are rated 96DB, and im looking at other subs like pioneer champs and there rated at 89 Db?? and even some kickers are like 83Db, so is lower better??
and what sub do you think is better, my inifnfty perfect 12.1 350Rms/1400max

or a pioneer champ (400rms/1200max

anyone heard the pioneer>?
96dB at 2.83 volts or 1 watt?

2.83 volts is aprox 8ohms at 1 watt. so if you have a 4 ohm sub, you're really looking at at 93dB at 1 watt.

if you have a 2 ohm sub you're look at 90dB, and this of course depends on how the measurment was taken, is it a dual voice coil? was the measurment taken series or parallel?

etc etc......

One thing to also be weary of is a subwoofer that has a low RMS rating, but says it will handle 3 to 4 times that rating at peak. A sub that is recommended at 350 watts RMS is probably not gonna hold 1400 watts peak. JMHO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...