Subwoofer Sensitivity

RobertFielding
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Windsor
i dont understand subwoofer sensitivty, is higher better or is lower better??? like my 12.1 inifnties are rated 96DB, and im looking at other subs like pioneer champs and there rated at 89 Db?? and even some kickers are like 83Db, so is lower better??

and what sub do you think is better, my inifnfty perfect 12.1 350Rms/1400max

or a pioneer champ (400rms/1200max

anyone heard the pioneer>?

luagh all you want it isnt helping me out, and it makes you seem like an arogant jerk, not everyone is great with car audio, i am not one of them, lots i dont understand,,, so i come here and ask for help and i dont need poeple like you implying that im stupid.... if i knew the answer the this fricken question do you think id be posting on here???? and no im not a rich person either, whats why im dealing with lower quality subs.... sorry your running two 2 18in subs and im not up to your standards.... all mighty god of audio.... i cant wait till you ask a dumb question and poeple make fun of you....

Sensitivity is a measurement of how loud a speaker will get with a given amount of power. If you see a speaker rated at 90dB, that means that with 1 watt of power, it will produce 90dB of output when measured from 1 meter away.

A subwoofer with a high sensitivity rating will require less power to reach a high output level, compared to a sub with a lower sensitivity. Because of that, higher sensitivity is better, but it's certainly not the only factor to look at when choosing a sub.

on top ascend.. said typically higher sen, subs can't handle the higher power amps. As you increase stiffness (spiders, surrounds...) you lessen the sen. but then typically you gain control and power handling.

By the way, the guys are harmless, it makes them feel good to know there is someone with less knowlrdge than the, in reference to 12 volt audio.

Welcome and good question

don't get tricked by #'s though be careful not to believe the advertising hype. ask the guys opinions, it is worth some of the hell you will catch

thanks for understand kmanian, ive read some about pioneers and supposedly there quality subwoofers?? heard they are made in same factory as JL audios.... worth investing in?? the 12inch pioneer champ is fairly cheap as well, im either going to run my 12.1 perfect in a sealed box or the pioneer, off a JBL GTO 600.1II amp

when you look for a sub, the only thing that really matters is rms wattage and the voice coil. Don't really worry about db's. The sub is gonna flex alot anyway. Just focus on rms really. Ive never seen a sub rated at 96 db by the way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...