Kicker L7 magnet fell off - repairable??

Participant count
  • Participant list

breezey

CarAudio.com Newbie
DMV
Hey all. So long story short I was involved in a bad as$ car accident. I have 2 kicker L7 subs in a ported box. Evidently the impact was so hard it literally catapulted the magnets off the back of the basket/frame. I set one of them (magnets) back on to the basket and it immediately stuck with some serious force, but the cone/coil seems to be binding when traveling. I was not expecting it to stick, so I did not reattach the other magnet to the renaming subwoofer. I tested all coils on both units and all ohms out ok, speaker surround is all good, it looks like it literally just catapulted the magnets off the back of the case during impact.

Is this repairable? Is it worth repairing? Or am I better off buying new ones? I hate to toss them out just due to the magnet falling off and all other portions seem ok at this point.

Thanks in advance for y’all’s time and input!

get in contact with kicker,tell them what happened and go from there...if they are willing to work with you go that route if not look into SSA subs or Sunddown Audio,or Stereo Integrity ,or any other good quality Subs

It’s technically fixable, but not easy to do correctly without the voice coil rubbing, assuming the coils are still round as they should be. I presume the top plate separated, and with the force of the magnet, it will not be easy to re-glue / align without experience, meaning, doing it yourself might be challenging, and it might be expensive if you pay a repair shop capable of this.

If I recall, I've seen people remove the top plate from the basket, and use long screws to slowly lower the top plate onto the magnets after applying glue, with a shim in the gap to keep it centered as it is lowered, not sure if any of that would apply here. But honestly, you could injure yourself if you're not careful. You can't just stick the magnet back on and call it good as you found out already, it has to be aligned, and if you don't glue it, it will shift while driving. Hopefully you did not deform the voice coil on the one you randomly put the magnet back on.

But yeah, as suggested, wouldn't hurt contacting Kicker and see what they say.

Technically this probably can be repaired but working with magnets like that isn't really a DIY job and I can't see how you could get them on and aligned without having to first pull out the soft parts and I don't think replacement square cones are going to be easy to find.

If there is someone who can do the job, will do the job, and can get the parts to reassemble it's likely the cost of shipping, parts, and labor will exceed the cost of just buying some new subs.

I'd chalk it up as part of the cost of your totalled car and start from scratch. The magnets can be handy tied to a rope and drug around your driveway or yard if you've dropped nails or other metal parts or mount them to a wall in your garage/shed/workshop to stick tools on them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...