Condensation - can it hurt?

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey, guys. I've got my SA-15 invert-mounted in my trunk, and when I popped it the other day, I noticed there was some condensation on the magnet of the sub. This probably won't hurt anything, but it just got me curious - could this same thing be happening anywhere inside the subwoofer that could potentially damage/hurt any parts over time?

You got water leaking into your trunk, find out where it is coming from. It may be from your window or trunk seal. It's like a steam sauna when the sun heats it up and it will get in everything. I would remove your sub (and amp) until you find it. Carpet and/or any insulation will need to be removed and dried.

so you're asking if water will hurt a component that receives an electrical signal? is chemistry no longer taught in high school? water causes metals to oxidize, you want to see what it can do to your subs and amps, go get an old wrench and let it sit outside for a few days in the grass. you want to know what water does to your amps, go put your cell phone outside for a few days in the grass.

You got water leaking into your trunk, find out where it is coming from. It may be from your window or trunk seal. It's like a steam sauna when the sun heats it up and it will get in everything. I would remove your sub (and amp) until you find it. Carpet and/or any insulation will need to be removed and dried.
I guess I never even considered my amp. Thanks for the input man.

so you're asking if water will hurt a component that receives an electrical signal? is chemistry no longer taught in high school? water causes metals to oxidize, you want to see what it can do to your subs and amps, go get an old wrench and let it sit outside for a few days in the grass. you want to know what water does to your amps, go put your cell phone outside for a few days in the grass.
Look man, I'm only asking because the only place I've ever seen it is on the magnet on the subwoofer. I don't need a ******** answer to something I was curious about, alright? Yes, it's receiving an electrical signal and it's got moving mechanical parts. Of course I realize that. However, the exposure to the water is relatively minimum so I wasn't sure if it'd affect the driver at all, due to the fact that there's not actually much water contact on most of the conducting pieces of the driver.

I guess I never even considered my amp. Thanks for the input man.

Look man, I'm only asking because the only place I've ever seen it is on the magnet on the subwoofer. I don't need a ******** answer to something I was curious about, alright? Yes, it's receiving an electrical signal and it's got moving mechanical parts. Of course I realize that. However, the exposure to the water is relatively minimum so I wasn't sure if it'd affect the driver at all, due to the fact that there's not actually much water contact on most of the conducting pieces of the driver.
you're the one that asked the question. there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people. you say the water exposure is minimal, maybe it's minimal for your small brain or you're blind. the whole back plate of your motor is wet and appears to already be oxidizing the metal. there are beads of water all over the boot and the top plate of the motor as well. if that's just the water you can see, imagine what's in the voice coil and on the pole piece. so water just appears out of no where? it comes from some where. I live in a place that has near 100% humidity year round, so i know that just b/c you can't see the moisture doesn't mean it's not there.

I don't think it would affect it anytime soon, but get it fixed because it will!

Use to have that in my old car and my sub box would be all wet :\

you're the one that asked the question. there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people. you say the water exposure is minimal, maybe it's minimal for your small brain or you're blind. the whole back plate of your motor is wet and appears to already be oxidizing the metal. there are beads of water all over the boot and the top plate of the motor as well. if that's just the water you can see, imagine what's in the voice coil and on the pole piece. so water just appears out of no where? it comes from some where. I live in a place that has near 100% humidity year round, so i know that just b/c you can't see the moisture doesn't mean it's not there.
Oh, okay. So instead of thinking nothing of it, coming here for help makes me stupid. My mistake.

If I were dumping a bucket of water on the sub, I know it would damage it. However, compared to that, this water exposure is relatively minimal. That's why I'm asking the question, just because it's never appeared that there was any sort of condensation on the coil, or anywhere other than the magnet. I just don't know, and it's why I'm asking. Did I ever claim the water came from nowhere? I never said it did, and I'm currently trying to figure out if/where I've got a leak. Asking for help doesn't make somebody 'stupid', and if that's your opinion, maybe a forum isn't the place for you. Or car audio, or anywhere anybody ever tries to get insight on anything.

I don't think it would affect it anytime soon, but get it fixed because it will!Use to have that in my old car and my sub box would be all wet :\
My box has never gotten wet, or my amplifier. That's why I'm so confused why this is the only place that I've ever seen it. I'm gonna check it out today or tomorrow to see if I can get to the bottom of things.

My box has never gotten wet, or my amplifier. That's why I'm so confused why this is the only place that I've ever seen it. I'm gonna check it out today or tomorrow to see if I can get to the bottom of things.
Do you have a spare tire like inside the truck? Try popping that up thats where the water was leaking in my old car.. if its outside of the car i'm not sure..

How stupid are you people? Always trying to answer questions not knowing the answer just writing ******** because you have no life, you can't answer the question correctly and respectfully shut the fk up and move on , that simple , nobody gives a **** what you have to say if you ain't answering the question.. now he's talking about condensation buildup there is no leak in his fcking trunk I'm sure he would know if he had a leak in his trunk because when it rains there would be a lot of water getting in and it wouldn't be light condensation build up there would be puddles of ******* water. He said condensation, have you ever had ice cold glass of water you bring it outside in the heat or something and then you see how condensation builds on the outside of the glass and it will actually drip down onto the table.. That's what the **** he's talking about. That's what condensation is you goddamn morons it's not ******* rain entering through a leak in his trunk.

Sorry but that **** annoyed me reading it.. I have a brand new car literally just bought it a few months ago there is no leak in my trunk but today I came outside and the sun's out and there's about 2 ft of snow outside cuz it snowed a couple days ago so everybody's car has a bunch of snow on it still snow stuck in the ******* wheels etc I go to open my trunk and come outside and I could see oh the sun's melting some of the snow a little bit nice you know then I open my trunk and see my inverted subs have missed on the magnets like he said but we've never seen that before ever and it has been many rain days and not once if I ever seen that not a drop of water in my ******* trunk so how did it get there ? how did the condensation build up there, I don't know, try and figure it out but it ain't no ******* leak in his trunk..

Now I apologize for coming off as an ******* cuz I'm not an ******* like the guy up there who tried bashing the person who asked the question. What do you get from that ,does it make you feel better when you just randomly talk **** to people, would you talk that **** if you were face to face with him or do you only talk **** behind your computer. I think you're the moron here and prob some nerdy little btch..

Now again I apologize to everybody, something needs to be said and these people who go around bullying people over the computer, they're just the people who get bullied in real life so the way they get back is by bullying people in a way where they can't be touched

Skar audio ***** ! sundown ***** !

I'm out

I would get a heat gun and extension cord plug it in and just hit the subs with the heat gun until you see the condensation if you operate, all you can use a hair blow dryer which is probably more easy to easily accessible.. do that before you play them and you should be fun, that's what I'm about to do right now because I have the same issue but, remember everybody there's no ******* leak in my trunk lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Full Tilt

10+ year member
Bonafide MAFer
Full Tilt
Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies