Subwoofer recommendation

Judging from the brands you used, you probably never had a real ported box all premade **** thats why you had **** results. Get one made from someone who knows what they are doing and has a track record of competition builds that get loud, digs low and sounds good. A single American bass xfl 12 would do well
All the sealed boxes I’ve used were prefab as well and they’ve always sounded better, I know “better” is relative but Ported boxes in my experience are louder for sure, but sealed boxes sound tighter and you can feel the bass rather than hear it. And that’s the sound that I personally prefer. Just me tho. And sealed boxes can generally be smaller in size which is what I need. I don’t need block beating bass, just want a good quality sounding sub. I’ve heard 1 cvr 15 in a sealed box and it sounded amazing to me. I just can’t fit a 15. And I know there’s better brands out there than kicker, that’s why I’m here. Looking for a good quality sub that can hit the lows in a 1.0-1.5 cubic feet sealed box. My brother is a wood worker and has plenty of mdf laying around his shop so I can build a high quality sealed box easily. The smaller the better.

All the sealed boxes I’ve used were prefab as well and they’ve always sounded better, I know “better” is relative but Ported boxes in my experience are louder for sure, but sealed boxes sound tighter and you can feel the bass rather than hear it. And that’s the sound that I personally prefer. Just me tho. And sealed boxes can generally be smaller in size which is what I need. I don’t need block beating bass, just want a good quality sounding sub. I’ve heard 1 cvr 15 in a sealed box and it sounded amazing to me. I just can’t fit a 15. And I know there’s better brands out there than kicker, that’s why I’m here. Looking for a good quality sub that can hit the lows in a 1.0-1.5 cubic feet sealed box. My brother is a wood worker and has plenty of mdf laying around his shop so I can build a high quality sealed box easily. The smaller the better.

Again, you dont know how to properly design boxes. There are ported boxes designed for flat linear bass response thats tailored to your vehicle acoustics. There's also the sub's electro mechanical parameters, some subs do not play well at all in a ported and some sound like garbage in a sealed. There's a lot more factors in play here. Also your premade ported boxes are designed by monkeys with space and "bang" in mind none are actually built by someone that actually knows what they are doing audio acoustics wise.

What you are doing is just picking a random woofer and praying to god it works well in a sealed box while all the woofers recommended are purely engineered to work best in a ported based on efficiency bandwidth product ratings.

The cons with a sealed box is you are subjected to your vehicle's acoustics aka cabin gain and you cant get deep bass if your vehicle has a high resonant frequency. With a properly built ported, you can tune at a proper frequency that gives you the flattest smoothest response while giving you accurate quick responsive bass as well. This is all custom designed and engineered ported. There's also other enclosures as well that are far better than sealed in terms of sound quality and performance. You dont have much experience yet so you dont know what true bass should actually sound like. Kicker CVRs, alpines and all the brands you listed is absolute noob just slightly above bottom of the barrel stuff.

Again, you dont know how to properly design boxes. There are ported boxes designed for flat linear bass response thats tailored to your vehicle acoustics. There's also the sub's electro mechanical parameters, some subs do not play well at all in a ported and some sound like garbage in a sealed. There's a lot more factors in play here. Also your premade ported boxes are designed by monkeys with space and "bang" in mind none are actually built by someone that actually knows what they are doing audio acoustics wise.

What you are doing is just picking a random woofer and praying to god it works well in a sealed box while all the woofers recommended are purely engineered to work best in a ported based on efficiency bandwidth product ratings.

The cons with a sealed box is you are subjected to your vehicle's acoustics aka cabin gain and you cant get deep bass if your vehicle has a high resonant frequency. With a properly built ported, you can tune at a proper frequency that gives you the flattest smoothest response while giving you accurate quick responsive bass as well. This is all custom designed and engineered ported. There's also other enclosures as well that are far better than sealed in terms of sound quality and performance. You dont have much experience yet so you dont know what true bass should actually sound like. Kicker CVRs, alpines and all the brands you listed is absolute noob just slightly above bottom of the barrel stuff.
Well I don’t have enough money to buy a custom ported enclosure for my car, that could run around $200 and I’m honestly not that interested in some pro level sounding bass. Just want to improve on the stock Bose system. Hit me with some intro level woofer options that would sound good in a sealed enclosure. I know that’s basic and noob and all that, but honestly kicker cvr’s sound pretty good to me, so my standards must be set pretty low. What’s better than cvr 12’s but in the same price range? Preferably for a sealed enclosure especially since I don’t have room for 2.0+ cubic foot enclosure. Any experience with NVX subwoofers? I’m impressed with this amplifier, wondering if their subs are of matching quality.

Well I don’t have enough money to buy a custom ported enclosure for my car, that could run around $200 and I’m honestly not that interested in some pro level sounding bass. Just want to improve on the stock Bose system. Hit me with some intro level woofer options that would sound good in a sealed enclosure. I know that’s basic and noob and all that, but honestly kicker cvr’s sound pretty good to me, so my standards must be set pretty low. What’s better than cvr 12’s but in the same price range? Preferably for a sealed enclosure especially since I don’t have room for 2.0+ cubic foot enclosure. Any experience with NVX subwoofers? I’m impressed with this amplifier, wondering if their subs are of matching quality.
I know I’m a toddler on this particular subject. I detail cars for a living so I can kinda relate to the levels of quality of certain products for certain cars. You can run your car through an automatic wash and it will knock the dust off and shine your tires and everything, cheapest option. Or you can let a detail shop do everything by hand with quality products. Black wax for black cars, odor eliminating bombs vs air freshener etc etc. Much more expensive. People that aren’t into cars probably wouldn’t even tell much of a difference, and the price difference might not be justified for some. For my car audio, I want something in the middle. If you know much about my cars acoustics specifically, give me some pointers. ‘12 G37 awd sedan.

#noOnSealed. Many of the single 12’s That optimize the power of your amp are going to need 2 cubes plus. You may consider a beefier 10 that needs 1.25-1.5 cubes and try to get someone to build you a box design with cut sheet that your bro can execute. You can then push that box size toward that 2 cube to optimize output. Cost you a nominal fee if you ask someone here nicely, cost of wood, and hopefully your brother isn’t a jerk:)

#noOnSealed. Many of the single 12’s That optimize the power of your amp are going to need 2 cubes plus. You may consider a beefier 10 that needs 1.25-1.5 cubes and try to get someone to build you a box design with cut sheet that your bro can execute. You can then push that box size toward that 2 cube to optimize output. Cost you a nominal fee if you ask someone here nicely, cost of wood, and hopefully your brother isn’t a jerk:)
Oh no he’s a super bass head, or he was when we were teenagers. He actually taught me every thing I know about car audio. But he’s all about SPL and I’m more on the SQ side. He would be ecstatic to help build me a box. However neither of us are knowledgeable enough for customizing a ported box and tuning it and all that good stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.