Subwoofer Box Question

I know I wasn't. Have skar in the sundown box at the moment and it still sounds great to me. The sundown wasn't blown i just had a borked ground connection on my line output connection and ordered the new sub before I knew that was the problem
Skar was rated for 1000 watts vs 600 for the sundown and didn't want to risk blowing another sub

Holyhell.....just build a T-line for the best of both worlds. Got your lows and will play mid and upper freq as well. Mine does :D

Why would you go to a Skar from a Sundown??
The SA-10 and the EVL in my opinion sound no different. At least to the ear they aren’t. I currently have the Skar in the same box so it’s constricted a little on box volume but I don’t hear any audible SQ difference. Would have definitely kept the sundown just didn’t know the real problem and thought I had borked the coil. That’s why I’m asking though I know with the bigger box and higher tune that the skar wouldn’t sound as good. I think I’m going to build a slot ported box tuned at 34hz. Was going to do a round port but need a 5” port to get the right amount of port area and the ones you buy aren’t long enough and I can’t find 5” pvc anywhere. Not to worried about port noise as it’s a trunk box though and it should still be pretty minimal. 

Was going to do a round port but need a 5” port to get the right amount of port area and the ones you buy aren’t long enough and I can’t find 5” pvc anywhere. Not to worried about port noise as it’s a trunk box though and it should still be pretty minimal. 
Just a few questions might actually help me out. How did you come up with 5 inch being the right amount of port area? What does being in a truck box have with port noise?With too small of a port doesn't that create other issues besides port noise? How did you figure out the larger box higher tune wouldn't sound good? I think that's it. Oh wish I couldn't tell any difference between subs sure would save me a lot of money. As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters but I am curious about the questions i asked.

Just a few questions might actually help me out. How did you come up with 5 inch being the right amount of port area? What does being in a truck box have with port noise?With too small of a port doesn't that create other issues besides port noise? How did you figure out the larger box higher tune wouldn't sound good? I think that's it. Oh wish I couldn't tell any difference between subs sure would save me a lot of money. As long as you're happy with it that's all that matters but I am curious about the questions i asked.
I used a Windows program for the box calculations. I could have used multiple smaller ports but they would’ve had to be much longer. It calculated for the 34hz tune 22 square inches of port space if I remember right. 5” port was right on the spot just can’t find any port kits long enough and can’t find 5” pvc at any store I’m near. With it being a trunk box the port noise is less audible to me in the cab of the car. I still want it minimal and I’ll have enough port area with the slot port I just heard that round ports have least port noise. With the larger box higher tune I know the larger sqft of the box will increase movement and therefore output of the box. With a 40hz tune or high tune in general I’d get too much of an output spike and it would likely drown out my front components. I don’t think it would sound bad necessarily I just don’t want so much output that I sacrifice a lot of my SQ or system balance. And with subs I mean a cheap >$100 sub would definitely sound worse the two are comparable in price point though and seem to me to sound very very similar with my current system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It calculated for the 34hz tune 22 square inches of port space if I remember right. 5” port was right on the spot just can’t find any port kits long enough and can’t find 5” pvc at any store
I'd use an Aeroport... I used dual 3" PP Aeros with 2 Re Sex 10's in 1.25ft3 ea tuned to 32hz and it did great with a RF 500S on each (over 1K)... that 22in2 is for a slot

fWUkmK5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Sundownaudio01

CarAudio.com Newbie
Sundownaudio01
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
BOOMINGRANDPA