What is legitimately the best 12 or 15 inch sub?

carolina_stig

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 6, 2019
Greenville
So I got some money together and a better job. I want something where I look at it, I can say “this mf is bulletproof” I’m going to have a friend build me a sealed box. 

I am not sure if I want two 12s or two 15s or one 12 or one 15. Which setup should I choose? Is having two subs better than one? I know one sub with more surface area and more watts will be better than let’s say 2 subs with half the surface area and half the watts. But there is so much I want, but I can’t choose a setup. So here I am coming to you guys for some help! Thank you! 

• Dislike
Reactions: THATpurpleKUSH

PPVtahoe11

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2018
U need a price range for sure. And what amp do you have or are u getting. And why vehicle is it going into? U can blow up any woofer they arnt bullet proof. A dirty signal will burn up any voicecoil. 

• Thanks
Reactions: denim

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
So I got some money together and a better job. I want something where I look at it, I can say “this mf is bulletproof” I’m going to have a friend build me a sealed box. 

I am not sure if I want two 12s or two 15s or one 12 or one 15. Which setup should I choose? Is having two subs better than one? I know one sub with more surface area and more watts will be better than let’s say 2 subs with half the surface area and half the watts. But there is so much I want, but I can’t choose a setup. So here I am coming to you guys for some help! Thank you! 
2 15's

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Need more info. What vehicle your subs are going in will determine your selection.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA

the best subs are not the ones you put in a sealed box ever especially the ones that look bullet proof. They literally are made to perform well in ported and perform like trash in sealed.  

there are subs that are engineered to work well in sealed and are pretty beefy so i'll list it here. 

https://stereointegrity.com/product/hst15-15-subwoofer/

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
the best subs are not the ones you put in a sealed box ever especially the ones that look bullet proof. They literally are made to perform well in ported and perform like trash in sealed.  

there are subs that are engineered to work well in sealed and are pretty beefy so i'll list it here. 

https://stereointegrity.com/product/hst15-15-subwoofer/
 a part of me wants to wall 4 of those just for the hell of it

OP
C

carolina_stig

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 6, 2019
Greenville
U need a price range for sure. And what amp do you have or are u getting. And why vehicle is it going into? U can blow up any woofer they arnt bullet proof. A dirty signal will burn up any voicecoil. 
Price range I’m looking at around $500-$800 vehicle depends, right now I have a 1993 Honda Accord but by the time I get the items I want I’ll have a newer car by then. 

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
Why in the world would you run a sealed box. With an accord you will most likely be limited to two 12s ported or a single 15" ported.

A B stock Sundown NSv4 15" is in your $800 range. But you are going to need quite a bit of power and electrical upgrades to properly power one.

Two B stock sundown X 12s are in your price range.

MrFoca

CarAudio.com Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
MD
This question could be answered so many ways by so many different people. 

denim

SSAudio.com
Pro Seller
10+ year member
Oct 16, 2002
SSA HQ East
Was there an amp or goals mentioned?  Or did I miss them.  If the vehicle is changing that could cause issues.

Also, there is never a singular best.  There is great options for your install, budget, and needs.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
Was there an amp or goals mentioned?  Or did I miss them.  If the vehicle is changing that could cause issues.

Also, there is never a singular best.  There is great options for your install, budget, and needs. 
Agreed, even with any unlimited budget there is still no best although most would say dd z's or sundown 24's or t3 19's or something crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

DRBOOM

CarAudio.com Well Known
Nov 21, 2018
You forgot to mention if you are chasing SQ or trying to make a mobile ground pounder! :fro:

Based on that, determine your budget and the amount  of trunk space you are willing to give up then go shopping.  I have seen many people get Ground Zero or Sundown subwoofers only to run them with a puny amp which is a waste as some subwoofers are made to be driven hard and is larger ported boxes so determine what you are chasing then go and listen to some subwoofers. Lucky for us today, most subwoofers are designed to work well in small sealed boxes, which are entry to mid level gear but that would satisfy most generic consumer who are after a bit of 'thump' with their stock systems. 

Which ever direction you want to go, don't go spending heaps of money on expensive subs and run them with a no-name brand with many '000000' on it as you will damage your nice subwoofers over time due to clipping and distortion.

Keep it real and you should have years of tunes in your ride.

1530671329747.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds