Subs will "pop" (more like skip a beat/cut out for less than half a second) when my volume is high at regular intervals. Cause?

Participant count
  • Participant list

john.doe

CarAudio.com Newbie
CA
My car is a 2011 challenger "r/t" (i say that because its nearly 100% custom built and modded, and the only thing left stock on it is the head unit and some minor misc stuff) I have 2 NVX VCW124's (1000 watt RMS each) in a custom built ported box with 1.85cuft per sub, wired in series to match ohms, a planet audio 2600 watt 2 channel amp, 0 gauge power and ground, upgraded car battery, utilizing a LOC for my remote signal, no bass boost a.k.a. equipment suicide, properly tuned with no clipping and minimal distortion at full volume.
After i have been listening to it at approx 75-95% volume on my head unit for usually 15 minutes or so my subs will seemingly "skip a beat" occasionally, but also at a regular interval. I have not had this issue before and cannot find any explanation on the internet or at my trusted car audio shop to even diagnose the issue. What could it possibly be? i fear the sub's voice coils will get damaged, but not so much the amp. It is a mid quality amp that has never given me issues over the past 3 years up until now. It powered my old Sundown Audio SA 12's (2 ohm) very well for almost 2 years, and no issues then.
Opinions on what i should do?
options are a.) just turn down the gain and dont blast the volume, which is boring and not the point of having a system
b.) repair amp if possible
c.) get a new, high quality, highly reliable amp (either 2 or 4ohm, and either mono or 2 channel)

R/T stands for Road and Track and is a trim level available through Dodge. Nothing you personally do to your car makes it an R/T.

I get that, but the vast majority of people I know don't know the differences between the scat, SRT, SRT8,RT, TA, etc... and associate the trims to the engine and nothing more. It's just easier when dealing with a wide audience.

Sounds like that amp might be clipping. Go get yourself a Taramps Smart3.

I suspected that but havent had a setup ever clip before so (fortunately) im fairly ignorant in that regard. I've always tuned by ear and that's worked surprisingly well historically.

This amp is definitely not super high quality, and im aware of that, but has been being used for about 2 years on 3 different builds so ive been leaning toward replacing it.

I think i might finally grab an oscilloscope to tune it properly. Have you (or anyone else reading) used one before and might have recommendations?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.