Subs in a boat!!!!!

Boat_guy

Iowa
Ok guys here goes..... I'm looking into putting a decent system on our boat. I have sum questions for you guys I've installed sum basic car audio before but nothing on the scale that I'd like to do. I've been looking into Sundown every thing I read is nothing but good. I was wondering what you guys thought would be best suited for a boat the Sundown X-15 or the Z-15v.3..... The info on the x series states that they don't have the punch that sum ppl are looking for due to the high excursion. Any opinions on that would be much appreciated.

On to my next question I plan on running a ported box, what frequency should I tune it to, to get that big boom.

I know this is a car audio forum but the ppl on the boat forums don't seem to know crap about audio. Bunch of richy rich snobs that paid sum place to install the "best" stuff and granted sum of what I have seen is very nice most is just cookie cutter basic stuff.

Any other advice is welcome guys I've been a lurker on this site for about a year so now it's time to build sum stuff, I look forward to hearing from everyone thanks again

Ya I know when it comes to boats and the audio world it's a different ball game. Last year we had sum cheap coaxial speakers and a 10" cerwin vega vmax sub on 400rms sounded ok but was a lot better than the old junk that it had. The sub would be on the left side cockpit down on the floor.

I usually recommend seal sub boxes for boat applications....would like to no how it goes/works and if the salt effects the sub at all

The old sub was in vented box tuned to 38hz if I remember right and when the boat was in the shop 100ft x 90ft the tin on the shop vibrated like crazy. NO water ever comes close to the sub and no salt water here in Iowa just muddy river water and crystal clear lake water. The boat sits in a heated and air conditioned shop when it's not in the water.

I would go sealed box don't want moisture going in and outa port even if its not splashing on it.. on top of that with out a sealed cab of a car the added low end from a ported box would not have the same affect with open air space.

Every thing Ive read is that ported boxes on boats seem to have more output which is what I'm looking for. I'm not worried about moisture at all we are very **** about water in the boat. If you think about it a car is probably exposed to more moisture than the boat because a car is constantly exposed to environments that go from hot to cool and vis versa which creates moisture. Our boat is for the most part is Consistent climate, but at the same time just being near water puts it at a higher moisture level. All that said I don't see there being much difference.

Thanks for Gavinvoy for the link its nice to see pics of other ppls installs gets the brain juices goin. Slo ride any reason for picking the z's or just preference.

also a head up, a lot of companys make marine sub/speakers and headunits..... there is a reason they are different to normal run of the mill car speakers. worth doing a bit more research

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.