Subs in a boat!!!!!

Another thing we used to do in the shop was to install a couple super tweeters for the highs... and that really improved the clarity and the loudness to the highs even when driving at full speed.... but when you get those installed just make sure those point forward or backward... not side to side.

I understand the outdoor concerts use pro audio but they also use dozens of speakers and subs that gobble up thousands and thousands of watts. The brand of pro audio we used was Peavey if I remember correctly. The pro audio I have no idea they were tuned to, what ever the factory box was I suppose. What I was trying to get at was Approximately equal wattage the JL out preformed the pro audio. But in the same breath put the boat and pro in side a large building and the tables are turned kind of odd. And it's not just me that has noticed this unusual Phenomenon.

Now to answer your other question we listen to a little by of every thing retro rock, modern rock, country, and yes we do like our BOOM BOOM tunes.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I understand the outdoor concerts use pro audio but they also use dozens of speakers and subs that gobble up thousands and thousands of watts. The brand of pro audio we used was Peavey if I remember correctly. The pro audio I have no idea they were tuned to, what ever the factory box was I suppose. What I was trying to get at was Approximately equal wattage the JL out preformed the pro audio. But in the same breath put the boat and pro in side a large building and the tables are turned kind of odd. And it's not just me that has noticed this unusual Phenomenon.

Now to answer your other question we listen to a little by of every thing retro rock, modern rock, country, and yes we do like our BOOM BOOM tunes.

Peavey isn't very high end pro audio, probably a guitar or bass guitar speaker you were using rather than a dedicated subwoofer for music. If it sounded better indoors odds are it was louder except for the very bottom octave, which the room helped boost. Again, not unusual, depends what you want out of your subwoofer, sounds like that very bottom octave is important for you. A standard car audio woofer tuned near 30hz will probably do the job for what your wanting.

Your exactly right we are looking for that boom boom..... Just found it odd that speaker and subs designed for large areas fell short and the marine subs really shined. Also like you mentioned that the peavey speakers and subs might not have been of the highest quality.

Also for any one else that maybe following this thread a wake tower is in the Foreseeable future but probably not this year, I'm just average joe putting his hard earned money into some thing I enjoy. And yes the tower will see at least one pair of speakers.

If you want the BOOM !!! then go with a simple 4th order bandpass due to the fact that you do not have an enclosed cabin... you will also have the added benefit of weatherproofing the subs to some degree... as a final suggestion I would have the enclosure sprayed with a bedliner type coating to further protect it.

Good luck !!!

Bandpass boxes might not be an option due to the fact that the boxes are likely to have irregular shapes, caused by having to adhere to the hull and or other hull structures. Also I really can't stand the way bandpass boxes look that's just my opinion so I never really considered that an option. Plus everyone seems so worried about moisture and the closest water comes to the sub or any other electronics is when I carpet clean which gets done two to three times a season. The boat is 21 years old and the interior looks next to new. On that same note you bring up a good point about the bedliner, that exact thing crossed my mind and I will most likely use the roll on bedliner then carpet the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.