Sub vs sub

if you are somewhat patient ive seen sq4500.1's sell for $450 used

or a taramps 3k could do 2ohm power (although you may get more from a korean at .5)

Cab ultra 12s.
That db drive is actually only 1400w rms. So youd be better off staying with 2.5" coils. The ultras are basically the best on the market. The FU 750 12s are beastly too
so if you were buying 2 new 12s you would go with the cab ultras over the sa's? they are the same price so im having a hard time deciding what to get. and yes i know the ultras are basically sundown subs just wondering bc cab makes em now and that if they were really that good why did jacob sell the design? ive also heard the sa version 3 are just as good as the ultras.

so if you were buying 2 new 12s you would go with the cab ultras over the sa's? they are the same price so im having a hard time deciding what to get. and yes i know the ultras are basically sundown subs just wondering bc cab makes em now and that if they were really that good why did jacob sell the design? ive also heard the sa version 3 are just as good as the ultras.
It's not basically the same; it is a Sundown sub at heart. It's not uncommon for larger companies to do designs or building for smaller companies. ie Fi does SSA subs and IA does Soundrive.

I have a Sundown branded version of the CAB Ultra (CAB Ultras are still using sundown buildhouses as far as I know). It edged out a v2 SA by a bit in my application. I haven't had a chance to compare with the v3. As far as why Jacob sold the design. You can try and ask him. Maybe he didn't really feel the need to make a whole other line that really didn't fit in his product lineup? Especially considering he never finalized an Ultra design for any other size, which would take some substantial R&D. Why not sell a design you have no use for, but is a solid performer?

If you're in the market for 12"s and putting 800-1k to each I personally think Ultras are one of the go to subs atm in that power range. I know some people would even suggest throwing 1.5k on them, but that leaves too much room for user error. (I threw ~1.5k on mine briefly, T2500-BDCP at 4 ohms and it seemed to handle it ok. Output was just too much for my taste)

Really I would imagine there won't be much differences between the the ultra and v3. It'll come down to whichever one works with your airspace and tuning a

bit better. Both are solid performers.

People took the "as good as v3" thing and have ran with it. A v3 SA doesnt exist. Revisions are different than versions. Versions are whole new subs. A zv3 is completely different than a zv4. Revisions can be mixed, versions cannot.

The Ultra is better than the rev3. The reason he didnt proceed is because the cost of the needed coil. The prototype had a flaw with the coils. From Jacobs perspective, the added costs of the tweaked designing made it cost way more than the SA line. The v3, not rev3 that he plans to come out with is comparable to the ultra. But with the new Sa in mind, he didnt feel the need to continue with a comparable, but more costly driver.

Rev 3 =/= Ultra

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.