Sub suggestion

Masted85

CarAudio.com Recruit
Alabama
Number of subs preferred: 1 or 2

Size preferred (if configuration allows): 15 or 18

Budget: $600ish and below

Power to be used (which amp(s), include which resistance): Taramps Smart 3 (Williston Audio Review with Power Output)

Space available (take measurements, do not guess): 06 Tahoe. Don't have measurements ATM but can get if needed.

Goals: Have the best system around

Listening habits: Whatever tickles my fancy, mainly bass heavy tracks

Preferred brands/subs/whatever: None in particular, just no cheap ****

If I forgot anything I'll reply ASAP

Hate to post so many separate comments here, so sorry about that. If I were you I'd get the 2 ZVX 18's in a D1 configuration. This will give you the ability to wire the pair at 4 ohms and at 1 ohm. With the SFB 8K you could have the subs wired at a very conservative 4 ohms to give the pair their recommended RMS. Simultaneously you can wire the pair down to 1 ohm and do a little competing as well. The real benefit to the SFB 8k is your ability to get 2 more 18's and do a B pillar wall hitting in the high 150's without needing to buy another amp. If there's one thing I've learned the hard way its buying equipment without considering the future.
Spending $639 on an amp that does more power than you need might seem silly now, but you'll be patting yourself on the back later when you decide to upgrade and all you need to do is buy 2 more subs and build a box.

Hate to post so many separate comments here, so sorry about that. If I were you I'd get the 2 ZVX 18's in a D1 configuration. This will give you the ability to wire the pair at 4 ohms and at 1 ohm. With the SFB 8K you could have the subs wired at a very conservative 4 ohms to give the pair their recommended RMS. Simultaneously you can wire the pair down to 1 ohm and do a little competing as well. The real benefit to the SFB 8k is your ability to get 2 more 18's and do a B pillar wall hitting in the high 150's without needing to buy another amp. If there's one thing I've learned the hard way its buying equipment without considering the future.
Spending $639 on an amp that does more power than you need might seem silly now, but you'll be patting yourself on the back later when you decide to upgrade and all you need to do is buy 2 more subs and build a box.
I've got no problem upgrading in the future. For now I just want to use what I have on hand.

I have a pic of the box with 2 zvx 18's in it. Also to reply to CoolHand, I agree, with $600 to spend you could go with a higher quality brand like sundown, but you cant even buy a single zv5 18 with that kind of money. meanwhile you can get 2 ZVX 18's for $640. Trust me I love sundown (check my recent post where I talk about my current SPL build) I think sundown is the best, but they aren't good for budget builds. My truck has all top of the line equipment in it and cost me $18,000. Meanwhile I have a Yukon XL that I'm going to fill with 8 18" SKAR EVL's and 2 SFB 8K's costing me less than $6000 all in and will be just as loud and sound virtually identical.

You can still do better then Skar with 600 bucks to spend. A lot of companies out there instead of Skar which tries to copy Sundown while using poorer quality components. Not too mention the owner which we have all detailed to say the least. Even if he made a decent brand I still wouldn't after his history.

I personally think Soundqubed subs are not great. Their power handling is good but that's about it. Fs is through the roof, I've heard a few builds with them and granted they're ok but theyre not going to leave you sounding like the best around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.