Sub selection based on amp and box

Participant count
  • Participant list
Sorry, but it has to be done. Opinions are needed as I'm trying to purchase asap. Installing a system in my 1990 bmw 325i, and have an enclosure and amp already and now need a sub. I get that I'm kind of going about this the wrong way, but the sub I was going to use is having problems.

The box I currently have is a 12" Lukebox, which is fairly famous within the community. A link to the box can be found here: http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...enclosure.html

It is forward facing and fits a 12" sub that fires thru the ski pass and is sealed into the cabin... no sound should be entering the trunk. There are also two 3" ports tuned to 32hz that vent out of the rear parcel shelf. The interior volume is 2.12cuft (sans sub) and has a mounting depth around 7" or so.

The amp I'm using is a Hifonics Brutus BRX5016.5 powering the sub and all 4 speakers. The 5th channel is supposedly rated at 750 watts RMS@ 2ohms. Specs can be found here: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...BRX5016.5.html

Budget for sub is ~$200. looking for something aimed more at SQ, but that I can turn up and have some decent boom every once in a while. I'd say 70% SQ and 30% SPL. Also needs to run at 2 ohms, so likely a 4 ohm DVC setup. Also should be able to have roughly 750 watts RMS run into it, so I'd like something that is rated to handle close to that.

The guy who built the box gave some suggestions on sub selection which has helped to guide my search. Basically I have come to these guidelines...

Qts: Fs:

Xmax: >10mm

Voice Coil: >or=2.5"

Sensitivity: Higher is better

Ported Box Recommendations: 1.5-2.0cuft tuned to ~32Hz

Mounting Depth: ~

Power Handling: ~500-750 watts RMS

I found another forum listing some suggested subs simply based on price and general quality, and went thru them to compare their specs to these recommendations. The results are as follows:

* Dayton Audio Reference HO

* Fs: 21.5

* Qts: .37

* Xmax: 14mm

* Sensitivity: 84.6dB

* RMS power handling: 700 watts

* Voice coil: 2.5"

* Obsidian 12 V3

* 2.5" vc

* 600 watts rms

* Fs: 33hz

* Qts: .51

* Sens: 85.4

* Xmax: 20mm

* 2.0cu tuned to 32hz

* Alpine SWR-12D4

* depth: 6.375"

* Sens: 84.9

* Fs: 28hz

* Qts: .48

* Xmax: 20mm

* 1.5cu tuned to 32hz

* VC: 2.5"

* Sundown SA-12

* Xmax 16mm

* Fs: 33.9

* Qts: .49

* Sens 84.22

* RMS 500w

* 2.0cu 35hz

* 6.5" depth

* Image Dynamics ID12 D4 V.4

* Xmax 17mm

* 400w RMS

* 2.0cu at 30-32hz

* Fs: 20.9

* Qts: .36

* Sens 88.6

So of these subs listed, the Image Dynamics ID12 best meets the criteria, except in the area of power handling. Just looking to get people's opinions and perhaps suggestions of other subs that may fit the bill. May even be willing to go somewhat above the $200 cap if a good case is made! Any help/opinions/recommendations/reviews would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the response

The ID certainly fits the specs best, but it worries me that it's data sheet lists its power handling as 250watts rms and 450watts peak!

The Sundown doesnt really fit the specs of the box all that well... is there a reason you're suggesting it? Just prior experience with it, perhaps?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.