Sub recommendations: Good tight punchy bass

kingsxman
10+ year member

Noob in training
I currently have an older 10 inch bazooka sub in my 2000 grand prix. I've just got a small sony 60x2 amp bridged (120 watts?) powering it. I listen mainly to rock and roll (Kiss to contemporary to Megadeth) and like that punchy solid, tight bass.

I do NOT like boomy loose bass.

I've got Infinity Reference 5 1/4 components in front with a Profile 4 channel (75w x 4) going in next week to drive fronts and rears.

Will upgrading my bass amp give me tighter bass?

Also, What type of sub enclosure is best for me? Also, any speaker recommendations?

better mids, those infinitys lack in midbass.
x100... A very nice component set would provide all the "punchy solid, tight bass" I think your looking for. A sub (especially for rock/metal) can become overbearing very quick without a decently setup frontstage/components. And IMO, a sub should just compliment the midbass from the front...not try and provide it (midbass freq.) by crossing it over up high to try and achieve that "punch" your looking for.

Save the Bazooka tube for now (to cover the lowest freqs. the mids can't accurately play), upgrade the front components, sound deaden the door, and then you can upgrade the sub later if you choose to...my $.02

I just bought the Infinity 5 1/4 components. I dont think I really want to replace them just yet.

So a sealed box? Are we talking a single 12 sealed box? 2 x12? 2x10? If someones got some specific recommendations that would be great. I'm curious as to how much we're talking about $$ wise between Middle of the road and high end.

I just bought the Infinity 5 1/4 components. I dont think I really want to replace them just yet.
So a sealed box? Are we talking a single 12 sealed box? 2 x12? 2x10? If someones got some specific recommendations that would be great. I'm curious as to how much we're talking about $$ wise between Middle of the road and high end.

it's up to you how many subs you want. i recommend 1 12. still got to know what your budget is for sub and amp.

I also would recommend a single sealed 12, and an upgrade in your sub amp. Since you just got the speakers, I wouldn't change them out, and infinity does make a pretty good product.

Depending on how I like the Profile 4 channel I'm putting in next week to drive the fronts and rears, I'd probably look at a Profile again for the sub. I think a refurbed profile CA800 goes for around $80. 600 x 1 bridged @ 4 ohms. I'd spend another $150-200 on a decent sub and speaker.

I would leave the Infinities where they are since you just got them, make sure you have a good installation on them and that will have more of an effect on the midbass than the speakers alone. (dynamat, other sound absorbing foam, nice seal around the speaker etc). Do your seats fold down in that car, in other words how is the bass going to get through?

My seat doesnt fold down. I've got a 10" bazooka back there now and it seems to come through fine. Just way boomy...as ported enclosures seem to be I guess.

I would go for a ported 12 if I were you, the right ported box will sound very tight and punchy if you use the right sub and box combo. Since your seats do not fold down it is very hard to get that upper punchy kick drum bass to fight throug the backseat, the higher the frequency the harder it is for it to pass through things like backseats. These seats work like a crossover or filter and can keep out those upper bass notes while letting the lowest pass through. If I were you I would take out your rear speakers so the bass can pass through those holes and let in more of the sound. Most people who really get into car audio do not use rear speakers because they screw up the imaging and timing of the front speakers. The fewer the speakers in your car the better sound quality you will have.

Even if you keep the rear speakers I would go ported and tune the box low to around 30-32HZ, I have had all the great subs and amps out there and I really think that you will like a good ported box best for your type of music and the fact that your seats do not fold down. I just do not believe that one sealed 10 or 12 will be loud enough for you, if you go with two then you would be fine with a sealed set-up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.