Sub help

Zach58

CarAudio.com Newbie
Currently I have 2 12” Skar SDR’s and a Skar RP-1500.1d amp. I was wondering if there’s any subs out there that are a lot better but around the same price as the SDR’s. I don’t mind spending a little more but I dont really want to go over $350 for both subs.
Let me know any other options you guys would recommend.

You could buy stronger subs with up to $350.

You probably wouldn't notice a difference until you bought a stronger amp.

I think you would notice a change now if you bought a stronger amp.

That's my best guess.

Last edited:
. I don’t mind spending a little more but I dont really want to go over $350 for both subs.
The issue is that you have to get another box as well. That limits you to buy across but not up. You could look for a sub that uses the specs of your box, just time consuming but worth it if you find better subs.

Box is the biggest deal. I build quite a few boxes for the Skar SDR and EVL subs. There are better subs than Skar for sure, but it’s hard to beat their price for what you get honestly. If you put them in a nice box, they’ll get just as loud as any sub in their wattage range. 1.75-2 cubes per sub for the SDRs tuned to 32-36 HZ works really well, depending on music tastes. The best Skar sub is the VXF by far for music. A single VXF 12 on 1500 watts in a custom box 1.9 cubes tuned to 32 HZ is a really good sounding setup. Loud also. That’ll remove the rear view mirror fairly efficiently.

Honestly I'd look at getting a box built for those subs...the right box will make your subs sound better than buying another set in that price in that price range imo

Currently I have 2 12” Skar SDR’s and a Skar RP-1500.1d amp. I was wondering if there’s any subs out there that are a lot better but around the same price as the SDR’s. I don’t mind spending a little more but I dont really want to go over $350 for both subs.
What Vehicle are they installed in? Waht type of enclosure? Sealed or Ported nor Aerported? Tuned enclosure ? What is the Ported enclosure Tuned too? Dimensions of the enclosure?

What Vehicle are they installed in? Waht type of enclosure? Sealed or Ported nor Aerported? Tuned enclosure ? What is the Ported enclosure Tuned too? Dimensions of the enclosure?
1979 Chevrolet Chevette. Ported, me and my bro inlaw built built it in my garage. Ported, we took a 4" hole saw and cut a hole in that sum b!tch. Dimensions are 36/24/36 only if shes 5'3.

1979 Chevrolet Chevette. Ported, me and my bro inlaw built built it in my garage. Ported, we took a 4" hole saw and cut a hole in that sum b!tch. Dimensions are 36/24/36 only if shes 5'3.
Ha, get it but funny enough, a 4" diameter hole (by .75" deep) in a 3.5 cubic foot box actually gives you a tuned port at right about 50Hz. pretty high for 2 12's. Bump that port to 6.5" and you will notice a significant difference as it will be tuned to 32Hz. I'm using 1.75 Cu. Ft. per sub as the reference for the box size.

Of you cut a hole in a cube of wood that's not how ports work.
Doing a correct port would most likely yield tremendous results.
Well, actually, that is exactly how ports work. A 4" diameter hole that is the thickness of the wood (.75" ) in a 3.5 cubic foot box (cube) would net you a tuning frequqncy of around 50Hz. A high tuned, short port for sure, but a port none the less! The same diameter port in a 3.5 Cu Ft box, 6.5" long would be tuned to 32Hz and would make a world of difference in the output. Didn't see anything about the actual volume of the box mentioned, kind of an implrtant detail, no? What sayeth you @Zach58?

Last edited:
As for upping your game for around $350.00, these are close at $398 a pair.

Or even better yet, from AB at $370 a pair:

Last edited:
As for upping your game for around $350.00, these are close at $398 a pair.

Or even better yet, from AB at $370 a pair:

I'll take those NVX over the AB any day. I have run the NVX they will take a beating and sound good doing it. I lost all faith in AB.

I'll take those NVX over the AB any day. I have run the NVX they will take a beating and sound good doing it. I lost all faith in AB.
Yeah, I'm a fan, have not used AB in a long time. Have never had any issues with the NVX product. Their shiping packaging leaves something to be desired but the price to value ratio, the customer service and the products are top notch.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...