sub cuts out at high volume

amp drawing too much voltage..subs will cut out because amp needs a couple seconds to catch back up...if i recall thats not very good for the amp

so he needs.... another battery, lol and could you elaborate on why he has a bad electrical system.
whats going on is his amp is drawing to much voltage like pioneer said. his electrical system cannont keep up with supplying that much current. when it cannont keep up with the much current his amp doesnt get the proper voltage needed and it goes into protect mode or shuts off until the car's electrical system can catch back up. if i were you i would tell him to read up on the big 3, or you could do it, it is on a sticky in the electrical and wiring section at the top of the page, and do that to his car. it should solve all his problems. and i would do the big 3 before he gets a new battery, and it is alot cheaper.

whats going on is his amp is drawing to much voltage like pioneer said. his electrical system cannont keep up with supplying that much current. when it cannont keep up with the much current his amp doesnt get the proper voltage needed and it goes into protect mode or shuts off until the car's electrical system can catch back up. if i were you i would tell him to read up on the big 3, or you could do it, it is on a sticky in the electrical and wiring section at the top of the page, and do that to his car. it should solve all his problems. and i would do the big 3 before he gets a new battery, and it is alot cheaper.
other than that he could be clipping the amp bad enough to send it into protect.

what are the gains like?

I didn't know amps drew voltage...

I thought they pulled current. And because there wasn't enough current you had a voltage drop. Maybe I don't know anything about electric.

It is probably a combination of both too much gain and not enough electrical potential. If he has NO extra battery or is running stock ALT it is pulling too much current. But, if you set the gains right you probably wouldn't have it pulling too much current.

SO, go get a Yellow Top, do the big 3, and set the gains correctly...

Also, what is the sub, ohm config, amp and current electrical system like?

no one has mentioned that the sub/s could simply have a bad spot in their coils. at a higher excursion due to higher volumes, the bad spots could be hitting, forcing the amplifier to read a strange ohm load and cut out. i bet its not his electrical.

no one has mentioned that the sub/s could simply have a bad spot in their coils. at a higher excursion due to higher volumes, the bad spots could be hitting, forcing the amplifier to read a strange ohm load and cut out. i bet its not his electrical.
wtf?

OP: You gave us enough information to tell you this: There is something wrong.

Too much current draw, bad ground, incorrect wiring, too much gain, clipping, etc. etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.