Sub Clipping

Hi all, my 2 Pioneer champion pro (TSW3003D4) subs are clipping a lot. This mostly happens when I really turn up the volume. However, the subs output 4000watt total. What I hear is definitely isn't 4000watts. I am using a Hifonics Colossus Pro 5k. The subs are wired up at 2 ohms each.

My assumption is that my 2007 Ford Focus SE can't provide it enough power. Maybe there is voltage dropped or something. From my knowledge is that clipping occurs when you are feeding the subs too much power (my first assumption). Now I believe that I am giving them not enough power. They are trying to recreate the signal without the proper power... aka clipping. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your time, let me know what you think. If possible, please refer me some alternators that can handle my subs, or at least point me in the right direction.

There has to be a way to sue these companies. They are robbing people blind. But I could see the judge now.

Judge Judy " you paid how much for a 5k?"

Newb " $100!!"

Judge Judy " case dismissed"

And your subs don't output 4000 watts ..... that number is not what your subs output. Speakers don't make power ..... That number is the amount of power they are supposed to handle from your amplifier. In this case an extremely inflated number .....Just like BOSS and Legacy subs do. I recently had one of those over rated subs in my little test room. Said it could handle 2000 rms. SO, I gave it 1000 rms clean, and melted it down in seconds flat. My test room still stinks from that **** sub ....

There has to be a way to sue these companies. They are robbing people blind. But I could see the judge now.
Judge Judy " you paid how much for a 5k?"

Newb " $100!!"

Judge Judy " case dismissed"
Ive always wanted to look into this i mean thats false advertising and this is america where we sue because coffee is hot and win!

Ive always wanted to look into this i mean thats false advertising and this is america where we sue because coffee is hot and win!
Do it. Get a class action lawsuit. Get everyone on here to go to their local car audio stores and get signatures. Compile them all and file it.

Not trying to defend the marketers here, but that sub is listed as "600w nominal/2000w max" in the link OP provided. This isn't false advertising and you would not likely win a court case. OP just didn't understand difference between "nominal" and "max" as relates to amp matching. Still total BS marketing, but hard to win a court case IMO.

The acoustic loudness of the sub depends as much on the enclosure design, placement in car, and the efficiency of the driver as it does how many watts you are trowing at it. A very efficient sub in the right ported box can make as many deebeez as a lower efficiency sub driven with higher power (watts).

Also - As far as clipping goes, did you set your gains properly? Yes, your amp is capable of over powering those subs, but with gains set properly you are less likely to clip (no impossible, but much less likely).

throw those pioneers in the trash and upgrade to some sundown sa's or diamond d6's.that will get loud if everything else is done right.box,wiring ect.diamind d6's cant take some hella abuse.

Hi all, my 2 Pioneer champion pro (TSW3003D4) subs are clipping a lot. Why do you say that? What are you hearing, experiencing, what makes you say that? This mostly happens when I really turn up the volume. However, the subs output 4000watt total. What I hear is definitely isn't 4000watts. I am using a Hifonics Colossus Pro 5k. The subs are wired up at 2 ohms each. So how are they finally wired? That is a mono amp.
My assumption is that my 2007 Ford Focus SE can't provide it enough power. Maybe there is voltage dropped or something. Why are you guessing and not measuring? From my knowledge is that clipping occurs when you are feeding the subs too much power (my first assumption). Now I believe that I am giving them not enough power. They are trying to recreate the signal without the proper power... aka clipping. Correct me if I'm wrong. This is not clipping. Clipping is a form of distortion that refers to the waveform. Why that occurs can be due to a few reasons. Regardless, subs themselves typically won't clip a wave, but induce other types of distortion. Clipping generally comes from electronic equipment.

Thanks for your time, let me know what you think. If possible, please refer me some alternators that can handle my subs, or at least point me in the right direction. Why are you looking for an alternator before you know what's going on?
Replied in bold.

Also, how did you set gain on your amp?

I believe my gain on the amp is nothing. No gain. I did use my head unit to put "+3" on my subs though. Not too sure where to go from here. New subs? Amp? Alternator? I'm going to try and get SMD-CC-1 and SMD-DD-1. Gain and crossover checkers. If you guys can teach me in the ways of the bass, then please do. My wallet and I are open for suggestions.

I believe my gain on the amp is nothing. No gain. I did use my head unit to put "+3" on my subs though. Not too sure where to go from here. New subs? Amp? Alternator? I'm going to try and get SMD-CC-1 and SMD-DD-1. Gain and crossover checkers. If you guys can teach me in the ways of the bass, then please do. My wallet and I are open for suggestions.
Stop wasting money and actually answer the questions asked. gckless asked some good ones, all this can be solved without spending a dime.

I set the gains by just listening to them. Also I went online and found a few ways to do it. I set the head unit to 50/ 60 volume level. Then turned the amp's gain to 0. Turned the head unit sub gain level to +3/+6. It was a while ago, a few months. Don't remember much how it sounded. I remember hearing it clip then turned it down. But when I turned it down, the bass sounded like **** and there was basically no bass to anything. Too much treb and mid. I tweaked the settings since then, but I did not touch the amp's gain.

Replied in bold.
Also, how did you set gain on your amp?
I have a remote for my amp, for the subs. I see if it is clipping via a LED. I hear like it's not smooth, like blocky sound. When the volume is turned up on some bassy songs, The red on the LED goes on (aka clipping).

The Collossus Pro 5k is 2 ch. Amazon.com : Hifonics MT Olympus Colossus Pro 5K 5, 000w 2 Channel Amplifier Competition Amp : Car Electronics I have them wired as so : http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/scale/489/489/ca/reviews/20040525/1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif .

I guess that my car isn't providing it enough power b/c it's definitely not overpowering it. I have had an older sub and basically melted it from overpower. The car also has it's headlights dimming when the bass drops, at a stoplight, idling. The RPM goes up and down with the bass also when idling. I'm not sure how to measure if I am under or overpowering it.

I guess I have been throwing money into this system and I just want to get it done. Ik this isn't the best way, so that's why I am on here.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.