Sub and amp help - New to car audio

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChucklezZ
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I just registered on this site, and just got my license and an 03 ford ranger ext cab.

I am looking to build a system, but need some help. I already have my mind set on the sundown sa12. But I think I'm going to start with just one, although I want to have two eventually for when I transfer the system to a car. I'm just assuming with one 12 so close to you in the cab of a truck, it'd be plenty loud to start. So my question is, what amp should I get for a single sa12, I want to get an amp that will later be able to fully power a second sa12 later on. I read that they're rated at 600 but will take like 1000 rms daily. I want to start with one, and go to two sa12s later with the same amp. So with that, do I go 2 ohm or 4 ohm sub??

Any help is very appreciated, I'm new to this

Closest match to that would be a SAZ-1500D. You could also look at an AQ2200D, AB VFL 100.1, and PPI BK1800.1D

And since you're looking at getting a second further down the road, you should be looking at D4 subs. You can wire to 2 ohms at first, and the second you could wire down to 1 ohm to get the most power out of whatever amp you choose. Basically what everyone else is saying below.

Last edited by a moderator:
find a 1500 watt rms amp at 1 ohm ,get the 1st sub a dual 4 ohm and run it at 2 ohms for 750 watts rms ,so when you get the 2nd sub , get another dual 4 and run the both at 1 ohm for the 1500 watts.

Personally I would get a solid 2500 watt rms amp at 1 ohm get a d4 sa-12 set the gains conservatively at 1k then when you get a second you can set the gain at 2k and it would be good clean power

I'll probably have to go 1500 watts because of limited money, and that should still be plenty right? Thanks for the quick replies

Yes, 1500W would do those SAs proud. I'd say you should be looking at the AB or Sundown amps in that case. There's a SAZ1500D for sale in the classifieds. You have 300 you can throw down? It's a steal compared to 525 retail.

Yes I've got 300, I was seriously hoping I could find one under 400.. What's the difference between that and the 1500d3, or d2 and whatever else they have??

Sometimes they're just incremental upgrades to increase the amount of power it puts out. In Sundown's case, the differences are fairly negligible for what you're doing. The guy who owned the SAZ before the one posting had them refurbed by one of the best guys in the country for the job, so they will perform better than new. I'd say jump on it before someone else does.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

@its10v1 ;
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/564028-sundown-saz-1500d-v1.html

That's the member and the sale thread I was referring to.

Yes I've got 300, I was seriously hoping I could find one under 400.. What's the difference between that and the 1500d3, or d2 and whatever else they have??
I can ship Monday morning provided payment is completed. I pmed you my phone number. Let me know if you're interested.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.