sub/amp combo help

grooverider
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
IL
I am trying to build a nice SQ set-up. I really want to get the deep lows and decent midbass as well. I decided I will be doing a sealed 12" box. I have been finding some deals online, way better than shops around here!!

I just have a few questions, that you might be able to help me with.

When designing a sub box for sq, will I still get that boomy bass [spl]? I've heard that youll get more of a cleaner sound and doesnt hit as hard.

Then I thought, why not throw it into some sort of ported box, but that would then destroy the SQ build, right?

I enjoy alot of rap, hip-hip, and techno. I want to set my limit at about 500$. I already have the power wire, headunit, and amp kit. My friend also gave me his sony 800w mono amp for free. I dont know if ill use it, because for 500$ i better have subs that will be too powerful for that amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

So what subs and amp are within my limits?

Thanks in advance everybody. This will be my first system and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope no one thinks im going with a pre-fab. Im going to build the box with either 1/2" MDF or 3/4"

When tuning for SQ you build a smaller box that allows for tighter cone control. The subwoofer will come with minimal specs and optimal specs. The minimal are for tight SQ and the optimal will get you a little more DB at the sacrifice of sound quality via cone control. If you have gobs of power you can run SQ and be ported, but you'll always have better cone control in a sealed box and be less prone to the problems with "sweet spots" that ported boxes have. A sealed box can perform well over a wider area of the spectrum than a ported box that tends to be louder at certain frequencies so people choose sealed over ported for SQ for the wide spectrum of sound that the box stays more flat in it's response.

The best thing you can do is build the box small for cone control then "trick" the sub into thinking the box is larger. Polyfill has been used for ages to do this. You can get it at walmart and craft stores.

If you overpack it, you'll lose resonance in the box and sound will suffer, however underpacking it will not have negative effects - you just won't achieve your goal of creating a delay inside the box by dampening the waveform. So, start with minimal packing and spread it out inside the box lightly packed and covering the inside well. It's good to fluff it up so it takes up the inside airspace, as long as it is not packed in there densely.

Play the same song so you know what it sounds like. Add a couple handfuls of polyfill and play the song again. When you have it where you think it sounds best, remove all the excess polyfill from the area that is not in the box so you don't confuse it with what you've used, then remove half the polyfill and listen to it again on that same song.

What you've done is build the box up to a sound you like, then removed half the packing to jump you back and give your ears a dramatic reference change to make sure you haven't been getting used to hearing flaws while you are packing.

It's like growing hair..... if you are growing it little by little you won't notice much difference, but if someone sees you that hasn't seen you in 3 weeks they'll say "hey your hair grew a little". You are essentially jolting your senses by removing half the poly AFTER you have it where you think you want it. If it sounds better, you got too used to hearing it while tuning and went too far. If it sounds worse with half the poly removed then stuff the poly back in it and lock it up, you've done a good job.

Mid-bass should not be played by your sub....and your midbass speakers playing sub-woofer frequencies is not "strong midbass"....As for ported enclosures not equalling sealed for SQ purposes..BS...properly tuned a ported enclosure can sound very good(Look at Dave Brooks' F-250)

well some techno, like jungle changes real fast. The basslines are also drawn out. Should I go with 12's or 15's?

Someone pm'ed me about a diamond d9 and a d1000.1 amp for 350 but idk if thats what im looking for?

Mid-bass should not be played by your sub....and your midbass speakers playing sub-woofer frequencies is not "strong midbass"....
well i need to upgrade my 6x9's and my door speakers anyway. so i guess ill use that for the mid bass. what are some midgrade components?

hahaha. I really like that boomy shaky bass. I just said I wanted an SQ build, because Ive heard it hits all the freq's like 30-60

Ok, Ill just use the subs for the loud bass, and my speakers/tweeters for the mids and highs.

So whats a good setup for 4-500$?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.