Sub/amp choice

Lazlo
10+ year member

I bought a 2013 Yukon xl Denali. The stock receiver won't accept a disc, plus everything is outdated so I got a Kenwood 9907xr and meastro the replace the factory system. Now, the bose sounds awesome, even the stock sub is great. However, I'd like an additional sub that is really over the top. I'm not talking added bass, but something that really hits. However I don't want to take up the whole cargo area. And removable would be best.

I'd like an additional sub that is really over the top. I'm not talking added bass, but something that really hits.

So, how exactly do you add bass that doesn't hit? I would tell you to go with two 8's on a 1K, but ask for a quick disconnect. It's as easy as a male/female connection 6" outside of the box., done deal. I try to tell everybody with SUV's to do this. Very few listen.

Why not look into a stealth box
It replaces your factory sub and fits under the center console so it takes up zero room
I'm guessing you don't need to have it removable if its not taking up any space and its that hidden
https://www.jlaudio.com/collections...gm-tahocnsl-10w1v2-car-audio-stealthbox-94278
Then you just need an amp to run it something that will put out 300-400 watts @ 2ohms and has a small footprint
https://www.woofersetc.com/c-3-ampl...dio-sfb-600d-class-d-monoblock-amplifier.html

Smd also offers a quick connect terminal
So, how exactly do you add bass that doesn't hit? I would tell you to go with two 8's on a 1K, but ask for a quick disconnect. It's as easy as a male/female connection 6" outside of the box., done deal. I try to tell everybody with SUV's to do this. Very few listen.

To clarify, I'm not looking for JUST added bass. I've done that well in the past. Stealth boxes and such are just that. I want a box in the back, removable, something I can carry it upstairs. But it really hits. You can feel it, it rattles the glass, I don't need hair tricks, but something to show off with.

In my Camaro I have 2 Dayton 12s with a taramps 3000w amp. Small sealed box, it sounds great. However, for the truck I'm looking for something a little more rediculous. But it needs to be removable when we go on road trips, which is not that often. The amp doesn't necessarily have to come out, just the box.

To clarify, I'm not looking for JUST added bass. I've done that well in the past. Stealth boxes and such are just that. I want a box in the back, removable, something I can carry it upstairs. But it really hits. You can feel it, it rattles the glass, I don't need hair tricks, but something to show off with.

How many pounds can you carry upstairs? My 8's weigh 24 pounds a piece. A decent 10" or 12" sub will weigh 30-40 pounds. So, you will be looking at 125 pounds minimum. IMO!

Alright, so the removable part isn't going to work. Instead, I'm thinking a platform box that I can put stuff on top, with rear firing subs. The rear seats folded down are 10.5" tall. The are behind the seats is 48"x35". 35" being the depth, but that puts the subs right against the tailgate, I assume some space is needed there, how much? Would you do 3-4 8" subs, maybe 2 10s but at 10.5 tall that's hard with wood thickness.

Alright so you firm on the 10.5" box height and under $1000
I'm going to assume that includes the box
2 SSA FL8 Dual 4 ohm subs
Bang for buck theses things rock
https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/f8l-8-650w-rms-subwoofer-by-ssa/
1 Apex CAB-22
https://caraudiobargain.com/audio-apex-cab-22-car-amplifier/
Now hear me out
The subs are rated at 650 but you can throw 800-900 at them
The amp is rated at 2200 (certified @2450) watts but like I said the subs will take more than the 650.
I also have the feeling a year from now your going to want to upgrade and if you do you already have the extra power in the amp to do so.
That should leave you a $300+ for a box
The whole key here is the box, great subs, shitty box, shitty sound
IMO it's one of the most important parts of a system yet it is the most overlooked
Have it custom made or if you can do it yourself have someone design it for you
Buck is member here who does it for a reasonable price
He designed mine
Your going to want to do the big 3 and if you upgrade later on replace your battery at the same time

Two of these in a ported box. Subs up and port back. You can still run the Apex Cab-22 amp. The box should be about 3.5-4.0 cubes net tuned to about 33hz. should really get down.

Screenshot_20210729-095249_Chrome.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...