Matching Sub to Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

cjpetch

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a 600 watt precision power art series amp and was looking to get a new sub for my encloser because it is very old (when my dad was in highschool) and was wondering what wattage speaker I should be looking for. I was looking at a 500 watt rms 800 watt peak power sub but wasn't sure if the rms should match the size of the amp because i want to turn my amp up to 600 watts. Would it be okay to turn my amp all the way up without damaging it also or should I look into getting a bigger amp?

A 500 watt rms sub would work fine, but you don’t just turn the amp all the way up. The gain knob on the amp is set to match the amp with the signal coming from your head unit. If your gains are turned all the way up, you’ll have problems.

A 500 watt rms sub would work fine, but you don’t just turn the amp all the way up. The gain knob on the amp is set to match the amp with the signal coming from your head unit. If your gains are turned all the way up, you’ll have problems.
That's what I was thinking and I really don't want to burn it out because I'm hoping to keep spending low. The amp is my dad's old amp from the 90's and he was running 2 12" subs among other audio upgrades in an ek civic sedan.

That's what I was thinking and I really don't want to burn it out because I'm hoping to keep spending low. The amp is my dad's old amp from the 90's and he was running 2 12" subs among other audio upgrades in an ek civic sedan.
Precision power was one of my favorite amps back in the day. I ran the art series for a long time. My favorite amp from them was the pc2350. Nowadays they aren’t as good, but those old school amps from PPI were by far my favorite.

Dont run the amp lower than 2 ohm mono on sub stage, or you will FRY it!! It should slamm a 600rms-1000ksub all day elevated to get some air around it and run decently cool at about 1"Oclock position on gain and with 0-bass boost.
Run a single 600-1k rms DVC 4 ohm sub, or two 200-600 rms SVC4 ohm sub or two DVC2ohm subs of 300-600 rms should be fine. get a decent ported enclosure to make that sub stage perform at its best. But make sure your FINAL OHM Load is 2 Ohms, you can run 4ohms or 8 ohm as well But 2ohms will be the lowest Ohm that amp can produce at. GET A FAN and put on it. Be a life saver for it. HEAT KILLS amps, You can pick one up pretty cheap these days.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=164385672378
These have gone up since Ive bought my 9" ones
Good reliable fans that last though and great CFM output

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...