Stupid 2 channel amp question

Participant count
  • Participant list
So i was thinking about something, dumb question about 2 channel amps. Lets say you have a 2 channel, and 2 dvc 4ohm subs. 2 channels are almost always rated to do more bridged, or close to the same. Would there be an output difference whether the amp was ran at 2 ohms per channel, or 4 ohms bridged? I just ordered 2 of the cheap hifonics 12"s and a crunch 1100.2 for a friend of mine incase anyone was wondering the equipment in question.

When you bridge a 2 channel amp, all it does is make it so that you have one set of outputs. It doesn't change the power output any. It also can't run as low of a load in bridged mode because each channel only sees half of the load.

For example, lets say you have X-Brand Amplifer rated at 500 watts RMS per channel @ 2 ohms, so 1000w rms total.

If you were to bridge the amp, it would be 1000w RMS x 1 channel @ 4 ohms. So it's the same thing.

The only thing that actually increases the total output of the amp is decreasing the ohm load.

For example, say it does:

350w rms x 2 channel @ 4 ohms Dropping it to 2 ohms doesn't double the power because of efficiency losses. So...

500 w rms x 2 channel @ 2 ohms

1000 w rms x 1 channel @ 4 ohms These two are essentially the same exact thing.

Hope this helps.

also when you bridge an 2 channel amp it gets warm faster because of the ohm load...some 2channel amps dont like 1 ohm loads..most 2channels are 2ohm load...hope this helps also

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.