Stupid question….maybe?

Participant count
  • Participant list

rovster

CarAudio.com Recruit
Miramar
Funny how these questions just pop in my head but I bought a nice Focal component set that is matched great with the amp I plan on running. When a component set is rated for let’s say 100W RMS if running active can the tweeters handle that on their own or does that rating take into account they will be run passive on the same channel? If running active with tweets and mids on their own dedicated channels anything special to consider other than possibly a tweeter protector/capacitor to filter out low frequency? Thanks!

If you have the crossovers and gain set properly you should be good...the higher frequencies tweeter see don't draw that much power anyways

Funny how these questions just pop in my head but I bought a nice Focal component set that is matched great with the amp I plan on running. When a component set is rated for let’s say 100W RMS if running active can the tweeters handle that on their own or does that rating take into account they will be run passive on the same channel? If running active with tweets and mids on their own dedicated channels anything special to consider other than possibly a tweeter protector/capacitor to filter out low frequency? Thanks!
Does Focal sell that tweeter by itself at all? If so, what is its rating?

To the question... the tweeter is not getting the 100w or even 75w. Depending on the components in the crossover the tweeter will be restricted on how much amplifier power is reaching it. It depends on the crossover components and crossover frequency. 100w? The tweeter may be getting 25-35w of that 100w.

If running active crossover the tweeter at between 3kHz-4.5kHz and start off with 25wrms. If it sounds good bump up the gain a hair and try 35w. It shouldn't take much to get the tweeters loud. Small size, light weight body, large voice coil relative to piston size.

The TN43 Tweeter from Focal is no slouch. Its nominal power rating is 15w and a peak of 100w. As in for short or quick transients.

Last edited:
Asking me about the tweeter caused me to look into it and Focal recommends tk run 4 channels through the crossover. So any attenuation built into the crossover I should be able to manage with the amp or I may just run the crossover anyway.

Any comments on running the passive crossover with independent channels or just nix it and use the amp for control. I had ASSumed the set was wired for 2 channels so it kind of works out for me lol

Last edited:
Asking me about the tweeter caused me to look into it and Focal recommends tk run 4 channels through the crossover. So any attenuation built into the crossover I should be able to manage with the amp or I may just run the crossover anyway.

Any comments on running the passive crossover with independent channels or just mix it and use the amp for control. I had ASSumed the set was wired for 2 channels so it kind of works out for me lol
Which set do you have??? Single crossover for left and right channels?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...