Added ~1000watts rms and only gained .3dbs

kaimana
10+ year member

Hawaii Stand Up!!!!!
Hilo,HI
K so i switched out my Fusion 2500.1d amp with a Sundown 3000....I just realized i only gained about .3 dbs..144.8 with the fusion and 145.1 with the Sundown....I also added a 250amp H/O alt too...But I was having problems with my voltage because of how hot it was and i was slamming my sub earlier so the batts weren't fully charged..I was dropping into mid 12v's during the burp..when i used the Fusion i was staying above 13's....But still shouldn't i have had more of a gain than that? I mean i added about 1000 more watts rms...It sounds louder to the ear though too....Maybe i'll try to get it metered again and see how much the voltage was the culprit...

rule of thumb is ~3db increase when all things are equal and wattage is doubled. most of that is seen at the back end of the doubled wattage. considering you didn't double your wattage, what are you expecting?

Lots of variables there... if the sub was hot actual impedance would also be higher.
The sub wasn't hot but the amp was....It was a hot ass day here in Hawaii and my dumbass friend had put some clothes on the amp...The first time i checked it i got a 144.8...I let my car cool down for about 10mins and my voltage came up to what i posted earlier and got the 145.1...

rule of thumb is ~3db increase when all things are equal and wattage is doubled. most of that is seen at the back end of the doubled wattage. considering you didn't double your wattage, what are you expecting?
well that's why i made the thread...basically to see if this was about right...I also figured it would be more because it is audibly louder...

So the fusion I assume only does 2k?
about there...

A new box would prolly help you more in your score than Morrrr Powwwaa
That was the next thing i was planning on doing but i want to keep it sounding as good as it does on the daily...

Run it through with everything cool and fresh - could be a very large difference for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

To be audible at all it would have to be about a dB.

Run it through with everything cool and fresh - could be a very large difference for you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
To be audible at all it would have to be about a dB.
That's what i was figuring..I'll prolly try to get it metered again in a day or two...My voltage usually stays up around 14.5 and barely drops into 13s full tilt but when i got it metered it was mid 13s dropping to mid 12s...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.