Strange issue with sub output lowering randomly please help

Nelly762

CarAudio.com Newbie
May 12, 2020
I have a brand new Alpine head unit that replaced an old Alpine and I had the same issue with. This is a fairly old school set up RF Punch Power 800a2 mono to a Infinity Perfect dvc 12. No matter what the volume is, the output from the sub drops to basically nothing at random. The only way to get it back it to jack the volume very quickly like it needs a signal spike to get the bass back to where should have been. Any thoughts? By replacing the head unit I thought it might solve the problem and I wanted blue tooth/ pandora controlls etc.. there is not issues with the 4 channel running all the other speakers so I am to assume its an amp issue but not sure how to trouble shoot... possibly RCA's, bass boost knob, or the amp itself, sub?

Entire system outline
Alpine hu
Apline Flex 4 ch running all Alpine Type R components
RF 800a2 with a Lightning Audio 1F cap
Infinity Perfect 12 dvc

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Temporarily use another sub to rule it out. If problem persists then the amp is your culprit. I had a Yamaha pro amp in my home that did the same thing on the right side speaker. Crank it and sound returned. Ended up changing it out.

Lasherž

CarAudio.com Veteran
Apr 27, 2020
United States
I have a brand new Alpine head unit that replaced an old Alpine and I had the same issue with. This is a fairly old school set up RF Punch Power 800a2 mono to a Infinity Perfect dvc 12. No matter what the volume is, the output from the sub drops to basically nothing at random. The only way to get it back it to jack the volume very quickly like it needs a signal spike to get the bass back to where should have been. Any thoughts? By replacing the head unit I thought it might solve the problem and I wanted blue tooth/ pandora controlls etc.. there is not issues with the 4 channel running all the other speakers so I am to assume its an amp issue but not sure how to trouble shoot... possibly RCA's, bass boost knob, or the amp itself, sub?

Entire system outline
Alpine hu
Apline Flex 4 ch running all Alpine Type R components
RF 800a2 with a Lightning Audio 1F cap
Infinity Perfect 12 dvc
You can also swap out the the subwoofer for multimeter probes to see what's going on with the signal. If there's no sign of drop outs at lower volume on a sine wave then I'm guessing it's loose wiring, either at the terminals on the amp, the front of the enclosure terminal, the back of it, or worst case scenario part of the voice coil. Intermittent problems are the worst.

If you still get the drop out then probe the RCAs for the same issue, if you still get it probe the head unit at the RCA outputs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds