Stinger Volt Gauge Install - What does the voltage adjustment do?

WOT

Banned
Just got my stinger digital voltage gauge in. It has the obivous 3 connecting wires which are straight forward, but also has a voltage adjustment knob.... what is it?

Ive read the instructions multiple times and this is exactly what it says about it.

Voltage Adjustment

test voltage at red and black wires on SVMR with a small phillips screwdriver adjust meter to match reading from previous test.

counterclockwise- voltage decreased

counterclockwise - voltage increase

Dont really understand that. Or why i cant just hook up the 3 wires and have it work just fine?

sounds like a potentiometer, like stated probably for adjustment. Test the voltage at the battery with a DMM and match the gauge to that (provided the DMM is accurate). Probably makes up for some resistance in the gauge.

sounds like a potentiometer, like stated probably for adjustment. Test the voltage at the battery with a DMM and match the gauge to that (provided the DMM is accurate). Probably makes up for some resistance in the gauge.
Correct. Its for calibration.

Oh ok so its just to calibrate it.

I just installed it, and it says my cars resting voltage is 12.1, which i think is low for a brand new optima, but said when running was 14.6

I'll just check with a dmm I guess.

Cool, nice gauge BTW, looks awesome, and confirmed my suspicion that my voltage was dropping low on the deep notes

Not trying to thread jack. Why would the stinger volt meter go from 14.5vto14.4v and go back n forth.
If you hook up a DMM where your volt meter is hooked to, it might be on that threshhold of 14.48-14.52 volts, which is causing it to go back and forth. And your alternator will never charge at a constant even rate to the nearest hundreth, like say for instense, 14.43 volts. It will oscillate anywhere between 14.39 and 14.47 volts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.