SSA Zcon 12”s

Evyn1

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have two SSA Zcon 12.

Question:

Was wondering what volume I should use for a single Zcon 12”?

Currently I’m using my DD712 enclosure:
2.72 cubes.
33HZ.
6” Round port.

Was thinking 4 cubes.

I’m going MDF on my next ports so it can handle more pressure!

I try to go screwless on everything so I don’t have to deal with screws looks messy with the sealant adhesive! But sounds great (the first time) with no further issues.
IMG_4952.jpeg

Last edited:
Okay, now that I'm over the shock.. Manufacturer recommends the following:

Ported1.75-2.5ft^3 @ 31-37hz

Optimal

Ported Optimal2.5-3.25ft^3 @ 31-37hz

I'd say you're already within spec and probably won't realize a significant difference

But... just in case

Maybe you should really consider just getting use to screwing things - up, if you continue to mount your drivers that way. Nothing good can come from it.

Something like these with matching bolts.

;)

Last edited:
Thanks but I don’t care how it looks just care how it sounds!

Gonna use (2) Zcon 12s 3.2 cubes each. With each Slotted MDF.

Then gotta use bigger Amp and alternator to push the Amp.

Question what size Amp for 2500 RMS X (2)?

Plus the DD9518”?

My guess is not my DD1500A?

Or should I get a DD DSP to push the DD1500A with wide open gain?

Plus the DD9518”?

Don't take the jabs personally, lol, It's not about looks either, there IS a correct way to install ones drivers, glue is simply not it. The glue you are using is flexible, even if that is marginal, it's not acceptable.

It's like buying a 2023 Corvette C8 Z06 and putting Wal-Mart's tires on it, not a good fit. Additionally, if you are serious about feeding them a several thousand watts, you might end up getting your head smashed in by a flying woofer at some point - may want to see if your car insurance covers accidental death by woofer!

There are probably 10+ 4000-5000 watt amplifiers that I can think of that would work.

What is your electrical like?

Do you have a budget for the amp?

Last edited:
Don't take the jabs personally, lol, It's not about looks either, there IS a correct way to install ones drivers, glue is simply not it. The glue you are using is flexible, even if that is marginal, it's not acceptable.

It's like buying a 2023 Corvette C8 Z06 and putting Wal-Mart's tires on it, not a good fit. Additionally, if you are serious about feeding them a several thousand watts, you might end up getting your head smashed in by a flying woofer at some point - may want to see if your car insurance covers accidental death by woofer!

There are probably 10+ 4000-5000 watt amplifiers that I can think of that would work.

What is your electrical like?

Do you have a budget for the amp?

To tell the truth I haven’t used the inserts so I was comparing it to wood screws.

The sealant adhesive is “locktite premium” and it’s arguably the best. This sealant won the strength experiment on YouTube using weight lifting. This ain’t gonna be the common assumption in a car accident.

I’m going to do the screws 100% with inserts and an additional 3/4 MDF.

*This is not the Zcon enclosure. This was an experiment that sounds really impressive for a single 12.

The dual Zcon 12S MDF Slotted will be the real Zcon enclosure!

I’ll be using software to build it! So I’m only doing glue gotta incorporate the wood frame into the cubes.
Slot Tune : 33HZ - 3.2 Cubez.

Last edited:
To tell the truth I haven’t used the inserts so I was comparing it to wood screws.

The sealant adhesive is “locktite premium” and it’s arguably the best. This sealant won the strength experiment on YouTube using weight lifting. This ain’t gonna be the common assumption in a car accident.

I’m going to do the screws 100% with inserts and an additional 3/4 MDF.

*This is not the Zcon enclosure. This was an experiment that sounds really impressive for a single 12.

The dual Zcon 12S MDF Slotted will be the real Zcon enclosure!

I’ll be using software to build it! So I’m only doing glue gotta incorporate the wood frame into the cubes.
Slot Tune : 33HZ - 3.2 Cubez.

I always do a dry run. put the bolts through the woofer hols and make sure the holes are lined up, then take the woofer out, mount the t-nuts on the underside then tighten them up until the teeth are partially in. That way you don't strip them trying to get them to dig into the MDF which is pretty tuff/hard stuff. Once they are partially seated, I remove the bolt and use pole style wood clamps to compress them the rest of the way into MDF, a bit of work but then thy stay and the threads are good! Be sure to drill the holes the correct size so that the teeth don't spin on you.

As for amplifiers, totally a personal choice.

SSA only has one that puts out more than 2200 watts

Syndown Salt is a really nice amp (not owned it but has a good reputation)

You can also bridge a pair of these for about $400

DD Audio

Then there are Brazilian (manufactured in) amps too

Korean Brands/models/lines that I have personal experience with and that I like as well.

Last edited:
I always do a dry run. put the bolts through the woofer hols and make sure the holes are lined up, then take the woofer out, mount the t-nuts on the underside then tighten them up until the teeth are partially in. That way you don't strip them trying to get them to dig into the MDF which is pretty tuff/hard stuff. Once they are partially seated, I remove the bolt and use pole style wood clamps to compress them the rest of the way into MDF, a bit of work but then thy stay and the threads are good! Be sure to drill the holes the correct size so that the teeth don't spin on you.

As for amplifiers, totally a personal choice.

SSA only has one that puts out more than 2200 watts

Syndown Salt is a really nice amp (not owned it but has a good reputation)

You can also bridge a pair of these for about $400

DD Audio

Then there are Brazilian (manufactured in) amps too

Korean Brands/models/lines that I have personal experience with and that I like as well.

That ZC6000 is a monster of an amp.

I have two SSA Zcon 12.

Question:

Was wondering what volume I should use for a single Zcon 12”?

Currently I’m using my DD712 enclosure:
2.72 cubes.
33HZ.
6” Round port.

Was thinking 4 cubes.

I’m going MDF on my next ports so it can handle more pressure!

I try to go screwless on everything so I don’t have to deal with screws looks messy with the sealant adhesive! But sounds great (the first time) with no further issues.
View attachment 56133
I'm guessing you pray you never blow the sub? When adding more power to it, you might have an issue with it coming unglued. You ever thought of designing a clamping system?

Plus the DD9518”?

What kind of music do you listen to?
I trust SSA too. :)
I'm a fan of SSA's subs quite a bit. Everyone I designed for really liked their SSA's, and I do like their design style, sort of the overall woofer theory style used, as I see it. The guys at SSA are super cool, too, from my experience.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...