SQ Subwoofer

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
I'm looking to run a single 8" subwoofer most likely in a sealed box and looking to run about 300 to 500rms to the driver. I have a few subs in mind but not sure which to go with as I don't have experience. The subwoofers I'm looking at are JL 8w7. JL 8w3v3. Sundown SA8. And the new Alpine R2w8

Also my car has a 710 watt premium system in it but it's lacking a little base what is a good amount of power to run so it will blend in nicely with the factory system

The Sundown will almost certainly be the loudest of that list. But for my money the JL W6 will give you amazing SQ quality. It's honestly more SQ than the W7. The W7 was designed for the highest SPL while maintaining their focus on SQ. While the W6 was designed for the highest SQ standards in mind. They didn't make an 8" in the W6 line, but the 10W6v3 uses a smaller sealed enclosure than the 8W7 does.

Last edited:
I vote 10w6 as well. I have a 10w6v2 in a sealed box that's basically a 1 foot cube. After displacements it works out to like .65 cubes.

I keep the w6 for a "toss it in the trunk while I'm between subs" setup. Pretty awesome sub in general. You can put them in about 1.5 cubes ported and get some good output from them as well.

Matt

Acura RDX. I want to keep it small as possible for box. Will get amp once I decide on subwoofer. But it will be 300 to 500rms. Was also considering the sundown E8v6

The 10W6v3 is perfect for that power range. It's rated for 200 - 600 Watts RMS.
Here are the dimensions for a sealed box, this is the concept design by JL:

Wall Thickness0.75 in / 19 mm
Front Baffle Thickness0.75 in / 19 mm
Volume (net int.)0.55 cu ft / 15.57 L
External Width (W)12.5 in / 318 mm
External Height (H)12.5 in / 318 mm
External Depth (D)10.5 in / 267 mm
F342.27 Hz
Fc47.55 Hz
Qtc0.8099

10W6 is going to be a tough act to follow if you don't mind a 10" woofer. W7 likes a large-ish box so I think if you could fit that in a proper box the larger diameter W6 wouldn't take up much if any more space.

Ahhhhh the dreaded wife dilemma lol. Been there partner.
Yes unfortunately. So my goal is not to become louder but more accurate and be able to hit notes. My stock deck goes to volume 50 and I usually listen to about 10 so at the volume some rap songs don't hit with stock sub and I think a nice 8 will do perfect for me

Dayton Audio makes 2 good 8s for sealed boxes that are affordable. The Dayton ultimax 8, which is out of stock right now, and the Dayton RSS210HF-4. The Dayton RSS HF will have an F3 of around 45 HZ in .5 sealed. Some will recommend the Dayton RSS210HO-4 for car audio, but not in a sealed enclosure. The HF outperforms the HO sealed. HO outperforms the HF ported. Problem is they are both single 4 ohm coils. If it were me, I would do the Dayton Audio ultimax 10 inch sub in . 5 sealed. Same box size, lower F3, higher power handling, more cone area. It really is a great sounding sub in .5 sealed. One of the better sounding sealed 10s I’ve ever used in a small sealed box. i Wouldn’t recommend using the ultimax line of subs ported at all however, unless it’s for a really low tuned home theater application.

Say I get the one of the Dayton's could I use the cabinet box they offer in my car? I'll use the ultimax as a example.

I'm willing to wait to get the ultimax if it's the most accurate sq soundijg sub I can get out of the sundown E8v6 SA8 and 8w7. Remember I'm not trying to get lost but get the extra depth my stock woofer can't deliver at lower volume

Say I get the one of the Dayton's could I use the cabinet box they offer in my car? I'll use the ultimax as a example.

I'm willing to wait to get the ultimax if it's the most accurate sq soundijg sub I can get out of the sundown E8v6 SA8 and 8w7. Remember I'm not trying to get lost but get the extra depth my stock woofer can't deliver at lower volume

almost all sundown subs are better geared to be in ported enclosures. The ultimax 8 only handles 300 watts, but The SQ would be inaudible by ear to the w7 on the same power. That box would work, but it’s technically for home theatre. .75 is larger than it actually needs for car audio, but would work fine. in a room you don’t have cabin gain to help out so the boxes tend to be a bit larger than they need to be for in car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...