SQ Subwoofer

almost all sundown subs are better geared to be in ported enclosures. The ultimax 8 only handles 300 watts, but The SQ would be inaudible by ear to the w7 on the same power. That box would work, but it’s technically for home theatre. .75 is larger than it actually needs for car audio, but would work fine. in a room you don’t have cabin gain to help out so the boxes tend to be a bit larger than they need to be for in car.

So the ultimax 8 and w7 would have the same sq and you would put the ultimax8 in a .75 sealed box?

I totally get the wife argument. I literally bought a second car so she couldn't complain about the audio-oriented choices in the jetta, lol.

But space for space, the 10w6 is going to do much better than the 8w7 or the Dayton. The only reason to go with an 8 would be if you absolutely cannot fit the 10w6. If I recall the mounting diameter of the w7 is 8.5" and the w6 is 10.5". If you can get the extra 2 inches of face dimensions, go for the W6.

The 8w7 requires .875 cubic feet per JL, the 10w6 requires .55 cubic feet per JL.

Matt

So the ultimax 8 and w7 would have the same sq and you would put the ultimax8 in a .75 sealed box?

These two are also good options and budget friendly. I'm currently running 4 of the VFL's on a 3,500 watt Sundown amp.

Screenshot_20220515-121653_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220515-121811_Chrome.jpg

How is the build on the Dayton ultimax 8. I did some research on it and I found that it could have some rattle in the sub.

How are these?
The build is ok on the ultimax. That rattle sound is when it’s overdriven, probably in a ported enclosure. If you’re going to get Savard, I would stick to the hi-q line. The rap line is their lower end stuff.

The build is ok on the ultimax. That rattle sound is when it’s overdriven, probably in a ported enclosure. If you’re going to get Savard, I would stick to the hi-q line. The rap line is their lower end stuff.

If I go with the sundown SA8 in a sealed box what box size should I aim for. And ported box .75 to 1ft3 tuned to 34 Hertz?

And what box size sealed should I aim for the Dayton ultimax 8

Last edited:
If I go with the sundown SA8 in a sealed box what box size should I aim for. And ported box .75 to 1ft3 tuned to 34 Hertz?

And what box size sealed should I aim for the Dayton ultimax 8
.5 for the ultimax, whenever it gets back in stock. I wouldn’t even personally run the sundown sealed. It’s a ported sub. .75-1 cube at 34 HZ would work nicely. I think the 10w6 idea in .5 sealed is still your best bet. The 10 inch ultimax also works well in .5 sealed. Those are both very efficient sealed enclosure 10s that have nice SQ.

My wife have a 2016 Acura RDX with ELS system, the ELS system sound like sh!t.
Get a JL VX1000.5 Hertz MLK165.3 and ML3000.3
Run 2 way active plus sub.

OP just pick one and run with it. You probably couldn't tell the difference in the options that you've been given. Ported or sealed is an entirely different story. Just because it's ported doesn't mean it isn't SQ.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...