sq box build

Why So Cereal?
5,000+ posts

Invisible Cereal
Looking to do a sq setup in my tC, I have 2 Dayton ho 10s on the way. Optimal recommendations have been .7 net tuned to 29hz.

Do I need to build separate chambers for each sub? Or can they be common chambered? They will be getting about 450-500rms each. Also if separate chambers what size Aero ports? Thinking 2". If common chambered will a single 4" Aero work? Which will have better sq?

Max dims are 42 wide, 18 deep, 11 high.

I have actually calculated the ports, if you were to use two of them, at being 2.67" each, or two 3" ports would work. The overall diameter based on the drivers mechanical parameters, gives me 5.36IN ports for both drivers. This is a minimum port for SQ, so again two 3" ports would be great. Or a common chamber with a 6" aeroport would be acceptable. The differences of that and a single chamber are the efficiency and tuning. With two chambers, you only gain around 3-5dB with the added chamber, along with the limited ability to get a lower tuning if required. With a single chamber, you can get more control over tuning and such. I would overall then, recommend a common chamber with a single 6" aeroport, if you want to use the aeroports. Hope that helps!

I have actually calculated the ports, if you were to use two of them, at being 2.67" each, or two 3" ports would work. The overall diameter based on the drivers mechanical parameters, gives me 5.36IN ports for both drivers. This is a minimum port for SQ, so again two 3" ports would be great. Or a common chamber with a 6" aeroport would be acceptable. The differences of that and a single chamber are the efficiency and tuning. With two chambers, you only gain around 3-5dB with the added chamber, along with the limited ability to get a lower tuning if required. With a single chamber, you can get more control over tuning and such. I would overall then, recommend a common chamber with a single 6" aeroport, if you want to use the aeroports. Hope that helps!
yea, someone else told me about the 3" aeros as well. Im thinking 29hz tuning should be low enough but I'll double check to be sure. If think I am leaning more towards the separate chambers since I am already not giving the subs their rated rms, the extra efficiency and db gain might be pretty helpful atleast in the lower bass regions. Such as 20hz organ tones in some songs. and crossovers can always help me keep the subs from reaching to high. But if all else fails, the common chamber with 6" aero might be the way I go. thanks

went to try and see how to tune the ports and...in order to get the tuning I wanted, the ports have to be too long.

But I would like to port around 29-30hz as this yielded the best results for a flat response with these subs...any suggestions?

was looking at about 2 cubes (separate chambers, 1 cube each gross) then 3 in port per chamber

went to try and see how to tune the ports and...in order to get the tuning I wanted, the ports have to be too long.But I would like to port around 29-30hz as this yielded the best results for a flat response with these subs...any suggestions?

was looking at about 2 cubes (separate chambers, 1 cube each gross) then 3 in port per chamber
I want to make sure that you know, the reason it yielded the best results is due to the enclosure they were previously in. This can change upon the design, so my recommendation is to explore the possibility of using slot ports as well, and if that is not a possibility, then I can look at your design specs and figure something more accurate for you if you like. But, keep in mind that there will always exist some limitations, and going for that low of a tuning may be improbable for what you are asking for, not sure yet. Because for 2 cubic ft, especially in separate chambers(which is why I recommended a common chamber) will be tough to get that low of tuning properly without decreasing the area of your ports, which I would not recommend due to the noise factor involved after what I had calculated for a minimum area.

So, I can either request that you purchase a design from myself or others, or let me do some little bit of free math for you to get something more probable. Sound reasonable?

.65 @ 30hz seemed to be a well received base over on DIYMA. However, they ran into the same issues of port lengths and decided slot port, though not space effective, was the best solution for most applications.

You could also consider external ports, if you must.

Tuning even a 2 cube volume to 30hz will be difficult (as everyone has said, due to just fitting that much port in). Have you considered a couple 12" passive radiators?

Just wanting to know if you are planning on competeing with this system or every day listening.. I am not trying to be a D#$K but 29 hrtz. for daily or even competing is kinda low . I did see where you said you wanna use areo ports but try the RE Audio Calculator . it will give you all kinds of options to play with ..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.