sq box build

I agree as well that 29Hz is pretty low to tune to for either situation, but if that is your desire, then let's see if it can work. As others have said, and I, that a slot port configuration may be more worth the time due to the ability to go around the enclosure for added length, and also, importantly, to add square area if needed to reduce port noise. It is why they are so popular. But let's try to stay away from generalization in designs. Every design will have it's own limitations, so considering all factors and not just concentrating on port configuration is important. For this, I would not recommend any of these port programs or calculators,a s they are very general.....can be effective in a conventional matter, but more accuracy is needed for optimum output than a simple formula that in most cases do not consider the driver installed.

So, the information we all have given you is all great to keep in mind. Keep your options open. In some cases, I have figured that a sealed enclosure may be more applicable even though the person may want a ported....sometimes it just doesn't work. But again, options open and with a little help like you have been getting so far from all of us, you will get there.

Just wanting to know if you are planning on competeing with this system or every day listening.. I am not trying to be a D#$K but 29 hrtz. for daily or even competing is kinda low . I did see where you said you wanna use areo ports but try the RE Audio Calculator . it will give you all kinds of options to play with ..
Keep in mind this is for sound quality, and not so much sheer output. The goal is a flat response curve with accurate musical reproduction.

Keep in mind this is for sound quality' date=' and not so much sheer output. The goal is a flat response curve with accurate musical reproduction.[/quote']
exactly, which is why i was so set on the 29-30hz tuning that was recommended over on diyma. not trying to be stubborn or anything lol. Just if at all possible, i would like to get around 30hz tuning for SQ

so this is what i came up with after some more number crunching:

2.5 cubes net, common chambered

1 6" aero 30" long port firing to driver side of trunk

too much space for the subs?

Almost double of your original plan' date=' no? Why not use the extra space for a slot port?[/quote']
Much agreed. These drivers together I have calculated they they only need 1.012 cubic ft TOGETHER for optimum compression at 29Hz. So, you have plenty of room for a slot port if this can be done correctly. Most will say 1 cubic ft is too small for a couple of tens, but the original post says .7 per sub, so my calculations are .2cubic ft off of recommended(by the way, never use recommended-as just shown, they can be off a bit). These will actually be great in .5 cubic ft each, but the problem then lies in being able to fit them in that space, lol. Again, limitations will change everything. So, go as small as you can for the compression area and use the rest for port, just make sure the port matches the compression or it will cause inaudible and maybe some audible problems.

Much agreed. These drivers together I have calculated they they only need 1.012 cubic ft TOGETHER for optimum compression at 29Hz. So, you have plenty of room for a slot port if this can be done correctly. Most will say 1 cubic ft is too small for a couple of tens, but the original post says .7 per sub, so my calculations are .2cubic ft off of recommended(by the way, never use recommended-as just shown, they can be off a bit). These will actually be great in .5 cubic ft each, but the problem then lies in being able to fit them in that space, lol. Again, limitations will change everything. So, go as small as you can for the compression area and use the rest for port, just make sure the port matches the compression or it will cause inaudible and maybe some audible problems.
Yup, that just about sums it up.

Yup, that just about sums it up.

came up with 34 wide, 10 high and 12.6 deep (internal measurements) gave me about 2.479cubes gross.

with a 6x30 aero ported firing to driver side gave me my 30hz tuning. would this work?

or maybe two 3" aeros with half the length each
The length does not directly relate to the separation of the port area. If you were to use two 3" ports instead of a 6" port, the square area is the same, so the length of each should be the same length as one, not shorter. If you make the two 3" ports shorter, the tuning will increase.

For SQ based, this is a good idea, might want to consider that as well.
But keep in mind that introducing PR's will generally force an increase in at least 1 dimension, requiring others to shrink to compensate and keep the volume desirable. It may or may not be convenient while trying to maintain such a small internal volume.

if you do not have time alignment on your sub channel passive radiators will not work.

also with these low xmax subs you can get away with much less port area. Lastly are you sure 29hz will play flat in car? that sounds way low with out a separate higher tuned sub woofer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.