Split coil Fi? Sexiness!

I understood the separation you were making between the two //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I don't see FI being the company that would utilize it like JBL does, though. Which is what you were implying.
Coil on the right is only 297 grams...and is as long as my arm..inductance is far from an issue...which the WGTi uses a edge wound coil pulling from the pro sound field.

Plenty of room for however much excursion one may want...just popped it up to show what else we play with aside from the normal stuff...I'm a huge fan of the thinking way outside the box in left field as you know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

If somebody has the money..we've got the time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif...just wanted to show a little something

if you dont push the envelope you dont know what you can find. props.

my only question how much would this lower spl from turbulance behing the sub?

I've yet to see a Wgti in a local retail shop...maybe I just wans't looking hard enough, but it's hard to miss one of those things.
Not completely local, about a 2 hour drive, but I have seen them in a shop. Along with the new Orion line, and ID

Coil on the right is only 297 grams...and is as long as my arm..inductance is far from an issue...which the WGTi uses a edge wound coil pulling from the pro sound field.

Plenty of room for however much excursion one may want...just popped it up to show what else we play with aside from the normal stuff...I'm a huge fan of the thinking way outside the box in left field as you know //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

If somebody has the money..we've got the time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif...just wanted to show a little something
Even the 15" wgti has an inductance that can put many 6.5" drivers to shame, which is why it is so highly regarded.

For an all out SPL application, I could care less. However, if one could utilize this in a way that is more appealing to my self, similarly to a Wgti, DIYMA, Type X, W6v2, I'd be more compelled to give it a shot.

I'm not knocking you, or FI, frankly your voice scares me, but to me while this is interesting, I'm not drooling on my keyboard waiting for updates, if ya catch my drift.

Split coil is the opposite of XBL^2; in their most basic forms, XBL^2 has two gaps and one coil, split coil has one gap and two coils. Split coil's advantage is more linear BL and lower inductance than your standard overhung design.

Differential Drive is quite different. It has way, way lower inductance than basically every subwoofer out there, and is well suited for high power handling.

I've been waiting for Scott to utilize more split coil for a long time now. Glad to see it happening.

And then you realize he's like 5'5"
5'8 Pat :p..sound like I'm a 6'9 prize fighter that will rip the soul out of any being through the phone lol.

In all seriousness there is no issue doing some 'normal' split coil type stuff either...the Alumapro M-16 is still one of my favorite subs of all time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif..and it is very practical...

The carbon mids are a split coil design...with 11.2mm of xmax on the 6.5, still my favorite mid to date..things will get down and boogie in the low end (60Hz range with ease) and still play within +/- 3dB up to 5500Hz //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.