Splicing into Speaker-Level Wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

Banttari

I am installing an amp for a sub in my 2011 F-150 with the factory HU. Since my amp does not support speaker-level inputs, I am using a speaker to line level converter that will be tied into the Rear speakers, allowing me to use Fade to fine-tune how much sub I get. Either way, using speaker-level inputs, or the converter, I need to splice into the rear speaker wires.

Question #1 - Where is the best place splice into? Up at the HU harness; at the speakers and run wires back out of the doors and through the vehicle to the converter/amp; or somewhere inbetween?

Question #2 - What is the preferred splicing method? There are these crimp-on taps, but I don't know if anyone has used these with success.

View attachment 26549371View attachment 26549372

Either one of those splicers will work. I would splice in the rear, so you have an easy and clean rca run. Did you already buy a LOC? If not, check out an lc2i. With stock hu's you lose bass at higher volume. This will restore the bass better.

Depends if you want o do work now or later lol. I had a LOC before I got a different H.U. We did it at the head unit that way when we did the new H.U. the RCA would already be run to the H.U.

the t taps will work but the preferred method is soldering. An easy place to tap would be at the b pillars where the wires run out to the doors. If you are contemplating a head unit upgrade in the future you may want to just do it behind the factory hu. But you may not be considering the integrated dash. The other thing to consider is is the factory stereo the base system or is there an amp running the system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.