Spent 2k on a sub and amp..but bass seems quiet..help!

john.mulvehill
10+ year member

Hello,

I purchased the HO112R-W7 (12w7 in a ported box) and the 1000/1 v2 slash amplifier to go with it. Both of these products were purchased new. I had these products installed at a local audio shop. I am using 4 gauge wire to hook up the system. After the system was installed, the bass was very minimal. I have read lots of reviews about the 12w7 and have heard lots of things from people who have owned it about it being great. Since I could not feel much bass on my back or any other part of my body, I assume something is wrong with the setup. Both the sub/enclosure and amp are new.

The audio technicians thought it might be because there was a line out converter (to RCA) that was remnant from my last system. My last amp didn't take actual speaker wire inputs so a line converted needed to be used to convert to RCA's to into that amp. On that last system, that JBL amp had the gain turned most of the way down and the system still pounded way harder than the new JL system is (even though the old system cost about 4 times less). I think this must be due to the JL system being set up wrong. When I would turn up the volume on the factory head unit, the bass would increase in a correlated manner (the louder the volume, the louder the bass). However, in the new JL setup, the bass just turns on at a low level and does not seem to increase as the volume on the head unit is increased...

The audio technicians think this might be due to the line converter malfunctioning but the line converter was working fine just last week in my old JBL setup. Also, I do not think the head unit is the problem because that ran the old JBL setup just fine. I need to go back to the audio shop on Monday at 4 pm so if you could give me some insight into the possible problem, I could have them try some things out.

Right not even with the 1000/1 amp turned all the way up, the remote bass boost all the way up, and the head unit turned up very loud, the bass is not anywhere near the level it should be..

Any other comments or help would be terrific.

Thanks!

John

Umm lots of troll in this post.
If you just spent 2k on that stuff (ripoff) you need to get them to make that **** right.
X2, OP you got ripped the fuck off! FUck JL audio ****, for 2K, you could have your eyes pooping out your ass from the bass boy...

Hello,
I purchased the HO112R-W7 (12w7 in a ported box) and the 1000/1 v2 slash amplifier to go with it. Both of these products were purchased new. I had these products installed at a local audio shop. I am using 4 gauge wire to hook up the system. After the system was installed, the bass was very minimal. I have read lots of reviews about the 12w7 and have heard lots of things from people who have owned it about it being great. Since I could not feel much bass on my back or any other part of my body, I assume something is wrong with the setup. Both the sub/enclosure and amp are new.

The audio technicians thought it might be because there was a line out converter (to RCA) that was remnant from my last system. My last amp didn't take actual speaker wire inputs so a line converted needed to be used to convert to RCA's to into that amp. On that last system, that JBL amp had the gain turned most of the way down and the system still pounded way harder than the new JL system is (even though the old system cost about 4 times less). I think this must be due to the JL system being set up wrong. When I would turn up the volume on the factory head unit, the bass would increase in a correlated manner (the louder the volume, the louder the bass). However, in the new JL setup, the bass just turns on at a low level and does not seem to increase as the volume on the head unit is increased...

The audio technicians think this might be due to the line converter malfunctioning but the line converter was working fine just last week in my old JBL setup. Also, I do not think the head unit is the problem because that ran the old JBL setup just fine. I need to go back to the audio shop on Monday at 4 pm so if you could give me some insight into the possible problem, I could have them try some things out.

Right not even with the 1000/1 amp turned all the way up, the remote bass boost all the way up, and the head unit turned up very loud, the bass is not anywhere near the level it should be..

Any other comments or help would be terrific.

Thanks!

John
The local shop is dicking you around. Or they dont know very much.
The first step in troubleshooting an unknown problem like this is to isolate the culprit. Any decent shop should have a spare deck laying around they could use to bypass yours (and your LOC) to verify the problem is in the signal. Next they hook their deck to your LOC to see if the problem is still there. If its still there, the LOC is malfunctioning. If the problem goes away, its the deck. Personally, with a $2k sub system, I cant believe you are still messing with a (presumably) stock deck with only high-level outputs (no RCA's).

If your deck has integrated vehicle controls in it, so you dont want to swap it out, look into a JL cleansweep or RF three sixty type of system converter/controller. If it doesn't have integrated vehicle controls, ditch the h/u and get an aftermarket unit.

**** dude 2k for that equip you could find it all for under 1k together hear and well this is what happens when people who have no ****in clue at all about car audio get thier hands on "decent equipment" putting that lightly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.