Speakers Not Working - Sub is Working

pluckyou
10+ year member

Illinois
First off, I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with a Kenwood ez500 head unit, #4 5 1/4 infinity kappa speakers (2 in front, 2 in back) and a mtx 5500 10" sub with mtx amp. The system has been up and running since I got the jeep (6 months ago).

Yesterday I got in my jeep, turned the key and heard a loud screech! Now all head unit functions work and I can hear that the sub is working but none of the speakers are working. Have no clue what the problems is. The only abnormal event that may have caused this is we have had about a gazillion inches of rain over the past two days and the jeep has just been sitting out of the garage through all of it without being driven.

Still, that shouldn't cause something odd like this. Please let me know what you guys think. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

No leaks that I know of. The jeep is very clean and about as tight as a jeep can get. Even if something did get damp, wouldn't the whole head unit be toast and not just the audio going to the speakers? I thought it was truly odd that everything (even the sub) worked fine, but the speakers are not working.

I need to tear into it tonight when I get off work and see what the deal is. I can see there being a water problem in the front door speakers I suppose, but the rear speakers that are in the roof aren't working either so that kinda throws me off. I was really just wondering where the problem may be other than the speakers themselves.

when my speakers where cutting out it was only one of spekers grounding out soit could just be one speaker that is grounding out so it could be just one speaker

There ended up being an issue with the speaker being grounded to the door. I had to put a barrier between the screws and the mounts on the speaker but I still don't understand why this is an issue. Right now this is just a temporary fix. As I previously mentioned, I have had this system going for about 6 months with no problems, plus I mounted the new speakers exactly how the old ones were mounted. Any ideas on a permanent fix for this?

Okay, got into the car this morning to come into work and I suppose the moisture in the air caused my little fix to not work, and now i'm experiencing the same problem.. Obviously my speakers decided that they could not come in contact with the mounting screws because the mounting screws, of course, are touching an unpainted surface. I accept this fact but do not see why it would've happened now and not when I installed the stuff originally. Any ideas on a permanent fix???? I was thinking of getting those foam speaker baffles to add another barrier between the speaker and the door, but the screw would still be touching the unpainted surface and the speaker itself.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.