speaker wiring help

badboyzx2
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am installing some Pioneer 6.5"s in my doors. I am going to rewire everything when i get the rest of my system (amps, subs, etc) but for now i am using the stock wiring. How do I find the polarity of the stock wires? they aren't labeled and i have no idea how to find which one is pos and neg. please help.

**** theres a way too...just forget...using a small 9v battery or something similar...touch one wire to the positive end and if the speakers makes a popping sound...thats the negative wire...dont quote me on that...been a long time since I ever had to do that.

- Steve

well the 9 volt will just induce polarity on the vc, if you take a 9volt and touch it to a speaker, the speaker will kick and hold inward and outward when you switch the battery's polarity...i suppose when it kicks out it would make more of a sound than when pullin in-

-patt

Originally posted by maylar No. Audio is AC. You can't tell with a voltmeter.

The factory speakers are usually marked with a red dot or something for positive. Or else the connectors are different sizes, and the bigger one is positive (usualy). Or look here:

http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html

... and see if your car is listed.
Ummmm...MULTIMETER.not voltmeter. My multimeter reads AC and DC volts, current, ohms, frequency...............

Ill try that battery thing. It seems to be the easiest. The wires weren't marked in any way because Ford uses some little clips to wire the speaker. Anyways, thanks a lot for the help guys.

Originally posted by badboyzx2 Ill try that battery thing. It seems to be the easiest. The wires weren't marked in any way because Ford uses some little clips to wire the speaker. Anyways, thanks a lot for the help guys.
That is why i suggested going to best buy or circuit city and getting some speaker harnesses, they will plug right into the plug that connects to the factory speaker. and the other end has 2 wires one that says pos. and one that says neg. (which connect to the aftermarket speaker). This way there is NOTHING to figure out, and no wires to cut. they only cost $5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Oh i get what youre saying now, first i didnt understand it. I would do that, but i already cut the clips off when I put the speakers in, so i would have to cut wires and such anyways. Thanks though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.