Speaker Upgrade Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

AlterEgo99
5,000+ posts

Streaming consciousness
Domie Homie
Have Polk Audio db6501's up front and Polk Audio db5251's in the rear. Lookin' to upgrade to a set of components in both areas at the same RMS (100W RMS) or higher. Suggestions?

Money is not an issue, just some kick ass sounding comps.

Thanks!

Or just get the raw drivers & run them with an active x/o...free shipping as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I'm familiar with passive x/o but what would I need for active x/o?

I'm familiar with passive x/o but what would I need for active x/o?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Maybe you should start smaller.

For the $, I've found it hard to beat the Pioneer PRS720's. Can't say if they'll appeal to YOUR taste, as you make no mention of the sound you want. Maybe if you could articulate the characteristics you're after (besides "kick ass sounding"), you'll get some suggestions. Better yet, grab your favorite CD, hit up your local shops, & demo till you find something YOU like.

There's a set of Dynaudio Esotec System 362's in the classifieds right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Maybe you should start smaller.
For the $, I've found it hard to beat the Pioneer PRS720's. Can't say if they'll appeal to YOUR taste, as you make no mention of the sound you want. Maybe if you could articulate the characteristics you're after (besides "kick ass sounding"), you'll get some suggestions. Better yet, grab your favorite CD, hit up your local shops, & demo till you find something YOU like.
Wow, OK, I'll try to ignore the superior sounding response to a simple question about crossovers. If it is a big secret, OK, that's fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I also don't think I was being too general when I said "kick ass sounding". Let me put it another way then. I don't like tweeters that are harsh. I like rich sounding highs and mids with some punch to them. I like to hear the cymbals and the finer points in music. That is probably why some rock just sounds too "busy" to me. Give me some good vocals and a well defined sound stage. I am just not sure that what I have does the trick.

I have an Alpine 9887 with Imprint so I am able to tune my system pretty well using the software, but I think I can get more out of comps than what I have now. Yes, I know that a vehicle is a tough environment for audio and I'm not someone who gets their jollies attempting to vibrate the earth with a bank of 15" subs. I like classical to rock, but I really want to "hear" it.

Does that help?

Wow, OK, I'll try to ignore the superior sounding response to a simple question about crossovers. If it is a big secret, OK, that's fine. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif
I also don't think I was being too general when I said "kick ass sounding". Let me put it another way then. I don't like tweeters that are harsh. I like rich sounding highs and mids with some punch to them. I like to hear the cymbals and the finer points in music. That is probably why some rock just sounds too "busy" to me. Give me some good vocals and a well defined sound stage. I am just not sure that what I have does the trick.

I have an Alpine 9887 with Imprint so I am able to tune my system pretty well using the software, but I think I can get more out of comps than what I have now. Yes, I know that a vehicle is a tough environment for audio and I'm not someone who gets their jollies attempting to vibrate the earth with a bank of 15" subs. I like classical to rock, but I really want to "hear" it.

Does that help?
The question about crossovers is no "big secret" it has been sitting infront of you the whole time (see sticky above). It wasn't an eliteist response, its just that the topic has been beatin' to death. Your HU has active crossovers built in, so I'd suggest utilising them, for it gives you the potential for better sound. If you're really looking for a defined sound stage, forget about rear speakers altogether (search "rear fill"). Now, since you already have 4 channels of amplification & active crossover capabilities, all you need are some raw drivers (saving you from throwing money at an inferior x/o). I'd look into mids with a high Xmax & soft dome tweets from reperable companys, to fit the sound characteristics you mentioned.

edit; I wanna see that ava in high res //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

OK, so I'm most likely already making use of my actives in my HU? I wasn't sure that I was using Imprint and therefore that is why I usually go passive so that I can filter out the lows to the tweets.

Sorry about the ava, that's all I can give you. As I have been married to her for 20+ years, that is about all y'all are gonna get. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Anyone else wanna chime in (about the SPEAKERS) other than KOL who wants more pics of my wife? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.