Speaker suggestions for a 2010 Tundra?

That Kenwood unit will drive a pair of efficient components no problem and sound way better than factory doing it. Will they be louder with a separate amp? Yes but it will still be louder and sound better than stock. I would go with a Polk Db or Infiniti Reference 6.5 Comp set, they will work off of HU power and later on you can throw some watts at them.
There was no way you could know this without knowing what model it was.

I have a Kenwood dmx706s. I would really like to put in a sub in the future as well as a 4 channel amp for the speakers, but I just don't want to spend money on a full system at this time. Maybe If I went with something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVMJFB9/?tag=caraudiocom-20 Taramps TS400X4, I would install an amp. My plan was to run speedwire from the amp to the back of the HU instead of running individual wiring to everything.
That head unit is 22w RMS and 50w max per channel. I wouldn't plan on powering speakers with that. You can find new amps that will power components for $100 to get you going. You can find quality used amps for cheaper than that. Sound deadener can be added along the way.

Why did you say no to JL, Hertz, and Focal? Those are some of the better quality brands.

This thread is a waste of time until the OP tells us there budget. $150-$200 for an amp with wiring, for any budget under $500 I'm going to say just enough on an amp that works for what you can afford, and the rest on a single set of components. More than $500 budget and you have room for deadener. Rear speakers are not only not that important, but set up your fronts and see what you want to add. You have 3 rca preouts, no reason you can't run (2), 2ch amps down the road.

I always deal check this place.

That head unit is 22w RMS and 50w max per channel. I wouldn't plan on powering speakers with that. You can find new amps that will power components for $100 to get you going. You can find quality used amps for cheaper than that. Sound deadener can be added along the way.

Why did you say no to JL, Hertz, and Focal? Those are some of the better quality brands.

This thread is a waste of time until the OP tells us there budget. $150-$200 for an amp with wiring, for any budget under $500 I'm going to say just enough on an amp that works for what you can afford, and the rest on a single set of components. More than $500 budget and you have room for deadener. Rear speakers are not only not that important, but set up your fronts and see what you want to add. You have 3 rca preouts, no reason you can't run (2), 2ch amps down the road.

All Kenwood's can push a modest component set, and as I commented an amp would be better but it's not necessary. And if this thread is a waste of time why did you comment on it?

I personally don't like the way Hertz and Focal sound, and I think JL is very overpriced.

I am not opposed to spending more and getting an amp to power the components up front. I would say my budget is $500-$700 (MAX) for everything I need to get a component set, wiring, AMP, and rear speakers. From what someone else suggested it sounds like just throwing the rear coax on HU power would be the best option.

I'm just honestly not sure what I should be looking at. I want nice speakers, but I don't want anything overkill. Hard to gauge what that really would be. I would prefer to purchase from crutchfield because they include install stuff for free.

Last edited:
I know when you buy a head unit, they will include for free: the mount adapter, the adapter harness, the wiring instructions, the antennae adapter all for free if you can use it. You could start the checkout with it in your cart, but I can't think of a single install freebie that they might include with your list. You're not getting an install kit for your amp.

Unless you have someone riding in the back regularly, and you want them to hear it, I wouldn't even bother with rear speakers, or certainly nothing more than $30-$40 for a set that can play off your head unit power, and that is only if there is anything left in the budget. IMO put rears at the bottom of the list, and don't worry if they aren't in the budget for at least now.

I would make it easy, and just put on $200 for the amp with wiring out to the side, then find your components that work on the budget. Then go back and you can find an amp with wiring to match up what the components are rated, and add in the rears if there is room.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone saying they don't like how Hertz and Focal sound. On that link I posted for sale stuff, there is a CDT audio for $349, and a Dynaudio for $329. If not that, I think you either pay regular price for something not as good, you find a deal on ebay, buy used speakers, hold out until black Friday or 4th of july both usually have the best audio deals, or get lucky when you search Amazon every day for their deals and hope you get lucky.

If you spend less along the way, you could slip in some sound deadener for the doors.

I know when you buy a head unit, they will include for free: the mount adapter, the adapter harness, the wiring instructions, the antennae adapter all for free if you can use it. You could start the checkout with it in your cart, but I can't think of a single install freebie that they might include with your list. You're not getting an install kit for your amp.

Unless you have someone riding in the back regularly, and you want them to hear it, I wouldn't even bother with rear speakers, or certainly nothing more than $30-$40 for a set that can play off your head unit power, and that is only if there is anything left in the budget. IMO put rears at the bottom of the list, and don't worry if they aren't in the budget for at least now.

I would make it easy, and just put on $200 for the amp with wiring out to the side, then find your components that work on the budget. Then go back and you can find an amp with wiring to match up what the components are rated, and add in the rears if there is room.

Can't say I've ever heard of anyone saying they don't like how Hertz and Focal sound. On that link I posted for sale stuff, there is a CDT audio for $349, and a Dynaudio for $329. If not that, I think you either pay regular price for something not as good, you find a deal on ebay, buy used speakers, hold out until black Friday or 4th of july both usually have the best audio deals, or get lucky when you search Amazon every day for their deals and hope you get lucky.

If you spend less along the way, you could slip in some sound deadener for the doors.

I probably won't bother with the rears then. I am still having a hard time deciding on components. I don't really know how to judge what I'm purchasing. I don't like Hertz because they are super harsh to my ears. I was looking at going with these kicker components https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS65/Kicker-47KSS6504.html but again I have no idea if this is a solid set or not, regardless of the price. My budget isn't really tight I just don't want to spend thousands on a system. I don't need the best or craziest system I just want something that sounds objectively really good and can get decently loud compared to stock.

I probably won't bother with the rears then. I am still having a hard time deciding on components. I don't really know how to judge what I'm purchasing. I don't like Hertz because they are super harsh to my ears. I was looking at going with these kicker components https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS65/Kicker-47KSS6504.html but again I have no idea if this is a solid set or not, regardless of the price. My budget isn't really tight I just don't want to spend thousands on a system. I don't need the best or craziest system I just want something that sounds objectively really good and can get decently loud compared to stock.
I feel like if you get a quality set of components you can tune out a lot of harshness with an EQ, just my .02.

Hello!

I used to be more into car audio in high school and haven't done anything for a while, but I would like to replace the stock speakers in my Tundra. I honestly don't want to do anything crazy and was just thinking about putting in a component set and sound treating the doors. Eventually I will probably put in an amp and rear speakers, but for now I just want something that sounds better than stock. I already have installed a Kenwood double din Head Unit.

My issue is that I'm extremely overwhelmed by all of the options out there and I have absolutely no idea what I should purchase. I am not interested in Focal, Hertz, or JL, but other than that I'm pretty open to anything. Kind of looking for a good bang for the buck set of components.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Hey there - New on here as well and also a new Tundra owner. I have a 2021 SR5 and sadly they have not updated the stereo since before your model I believe. The sound is simply unbearable out of the stock system. I'm in the same boat - want to get a really nice system but at the moment, don't want to drop a ton as I need to get some other updates first.

So - my last truck was a Ram Limited and I updated the speakers to the Infinity Reference - everything else was stock. Now it did have a factory sub (upgraded to a pioneer) and pretty good power so just upgrading the speakers was a great improvement.

Alas....not the case with the Tundra. Not sure with your truck, but mine has that annoying throw away amp under the passenger seat that powers the front and rear mid woofers. The front dash and rear door tweeters are powered by the head unit. I hate spending money twice, but I'll probably go with a reasonably priced head unit from Kenwood and then try to get good front components and some fills for the back - and an amp.

I may go with a 4 channel to start - plenty of good options out there for 150-200 range. Still looking at 8-900 for mainline equipment.

This guy did an amazing build on his Tundra - https://www.tundras.com/threads/2019-crewmax-all-new-custom-sound-system-diy-build-thread.122853/ He used CDT speakers (first I've heard of this brand but they seem very nice), gorgeous Sony head unit, multi amps....phenomenal work.

All that to say, I think the Infinity Reference speakers are tough to beat for the price - they sound good to me. Very natural tone and not too bright. (Guitarist here, listen to all varieties of music)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...