Speaker pop

Jason WB

CarAudio.com Newbie
When I turn on my car and my Kenwood DDX376BT powers on along with my sfb 500.4 there is a single pop in the rear speakers especially. I really can't hear it up front. All my speakers are wired at 4ohm. They're not overpowered. This is getting on my last fking nerve. Someone please help me out 😖

Where are the speakers located in the rear? What Vehicle? Are you running a subwoofer?
The rear deck 6x9s. 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT. Did have a sundown zv5 12 hooked up. Sold it. Waiting on SA V2 12s. It has done it since the install which was done at a professional shop. I unplugged the rcas and it still does it. I tried unplugging all the rcas on the head unit also. No luck. It is very annoying. I put the key in, turn the car on, and after the kenwood deck powers on fully after about 10 secomds.....pop. in the rear.

Do you have another amp you could try in the SFB's place to rule out a problem with the amp?

Has it always done it? Or start out of nowhere?
No sir I sure don't. It has done it since the install. About a year ago. Someone on a different thread called it "turn on pop", said it need a delayed relay, or something to that affect, where the amp will kick on 5 seconds after the headunit?? Have any of you OG's ever heard of this.? It has been doing it. I tried a SN1 noise reducer at one point when my sub was still hooked up. It helped minimally. It started with a small amount of rumble in my sub with the volume on zero and would only stop if I unplugged the rcas. But it is not the rcas. Now the sub is gone. Waiting on new box and new subs. But ever since the install the shop told me it was so small of a problem that it wasn't a problem. But this was in southeastern Arkansas and I dont think the shop was 5 stars if you know what I mean. It is just very annoying. There shouldn't be this pop. I've had systems before. Although I'm not seasoned like alot of you guys

Turn on thump, which I don’t think is as common as it was back in the day, but obviously can still happen.

I would power the entire system on, turn the volume to zero, then carefully disconnect the remote wire at the amp (or at the head unit, at any rate disconnect the remote wire to turn just the amp off), allow the amp a minute or two to power down, and then reconnect the remote wire to see if it pops when the amp powers up by itself. Everything else is on and settled, this is to see if the amp is the problem. Since you unplugged the RCA cables at the amp, I am leaning towards an amp issue as it should not pop with no input connected. Remember, the system is still fully powered on during this test, and shorting the remote wire may damage something, so if you can’t do that carefully, don’t do it as you might damage the head unit, or even the amp if you let it short out.

But yeah, annoying and should not be popping at turn on.

I would just install a relay on the remote so that it slowly powers and slowly turns off the amplifier
Yea I called the authorized dealer who sold me the amp this morning. I thought it may have been a problem with the amp. They assured me it wasn't. But of course they would.. I did unplug my remote wire for a couple of mins and plugged it back in and it did pop. But the shop said that the amp was powering on before my head unit or something like that. They also suggested a relay or just deal with it. It is just very annoying. Thank every single one of you that replied to my newbie post.

Put a toggle switch on your remote or you can do like mentioned above and turn on the system with the remote not hooked up and after its on connect the remote, Just be sure not to touch metal..

This will tell you if it is the amp or if a relay will remedy this.
Good luck.

If you did that test correctly, stereo powered on, then unhooked the remote wire and hooked it back up, a delay relay can’t fix this, as you just did the same thing the relay would do = you manually powered the amp up with the head unit already on / stabilized and it still popped.

If you bought the amp new, contact Sundown directly and mention it to them. Of course a shop will try to say it isn't a problem.

A 40 amp relay is about $6 bucks at Orileys or Autozone.. Ill use a 40 amp on my remote line for 3 amps or more. Most Audio shops dont want to warranty theyre work any more. Ya. its just a small pop itll be alright. Whata bunch of Jackazzes

If you did that test correctly, stereo powered on, then unhooked the remote wire and hooked it back up, a delay relay can’t fix this, as you just did the same thing the relay would do = you manually powered the amp up with the head unit already on / stabilized and it still popped.
I concur, it is an amp issue. He did exactly what a delay relay would do so I doubt one would help. Now a delay relay on the speakers is another option, but with a new amp one should not have to deal with these issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...