Speaker FAQ

any more questions? please feel free to ask, because chances are somone else dosnt understand what you cant figure out eaither. i 'pieced' it together in my head from information i read.

please, squeak, jmac (if you are alive //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif ), and those who i have not mentioned, correct anything that i have said that isnt on point //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I agree, Great Read you guys! This is exactly what I was looking for when searching the forums today.

I will continue the slope questions though...

Is there a "recomended" or "standar" slope setting for a particular box or sub?

Last night when reading some info from JL Audio, I understood that a sealed enclosure is "designed" to have a 12db slope and ported are designed for 16 and 24. Is this true?

I am sure this is common knowledge to most but an answers will be appreciated. The reason I ask is that I went from a pioneer p7300 to an alpine 9833 deck this week and it seems like my subs lost some volume. They sound much better, but do not get as loud. So now I am trying to find out why.. Thanks guys !!

Is there a "recomended" or "standar" slope setting for a particular box or sub?
Nope, it depends on the desired sound/application.

Last night when reading some info from JL Audio, I understood that a sealed enclosure is "designed" to have a 12db slope and ported are designed for 16 and 24. Is this true?
Sure is. It is called the roll-off of the enclosure.

roll-off.bmp

That is an example. The sealed box is in the purple, the ported in the white.

I am sure this is common knowledge to most but an answers will be appreciated. The reason I ask is that I went from a pioneer p7300 to an alpine 9833 deck this week and it seems like my subs lost some volume. They sound much better, but do not get as loud. So now I am trying to find out why.. Thanks guys !!
Did you re-set your gains on the amplifier? What is your sub level output at? Alpine decks do not put out 4V from their sub outputs until the sub output is at +15.

Yes, I did reset my gain. My sub out is around +7 - +10 depending on the song. I did adjust the slope to 2 (12db) and it is a bit louder, but IMO doesn't sound as good as 3 or 4.

Is it "bad" to run the sub output at +15? Or doesn't it matter?

I will have to wait until I install my CDTs, I can pick them up at the post office tomorrow. Hopefully with more midbass than my factory it will sound better..

thanks for the input guys..

-still a n00b, but tryin'

The only problem I have with setting the sub out at +15 is what do you do when you get to those songs that are not recorded as well or don't have as much bass as you would like? That is kind of why I tried to keep it lower, so I had the luxury of turning it up if I needed to.

frequency1vc.gif

as you can see, the point where they 'dip' together is the crossover point (please correct me if im wrong). this point (by looking at the graph) is 80hz.
Just one thing I'd like to point out here........

The crossover point doesn't have to be where the two slopes intersect, it just so happened to be that way in this example. Technically, the crossover point is where the signal is down -3db; which, in this example happens to be at 80hz for both the lowpass and the highpass.

So, lets say we leave the lowpass for the subwoofer at 80hz, but set the highpass on the mid up to 200hz. Well, the lowpass slope would stay the same....but the highpass slope would shift so that the frequency 200hz would be at the -3db down point. The two slopes don't intersect at either of those points (80hz or 200hz), but that doesn't change the fact that this is where our two crossover points are located because this is where their signals are down by -3db.

Clear as mud again?

Okay I have a question....

I have boston rally 6.5 components and they are 4ohm's. Now, both left and right to a 2 channel amp and run them at 2ohms? (kinda like a pair of svc 4ohm subs running in parallel to make it 2ohm's)

I have boston rally 6.5 components and they are 4ohm's. Now, both left and right to a 2 channel amp and run them at 2ohms? (kinda like a pair of svc 4ohm subs running in parallel to make it 2ohm's)

the reason we NEVER run components together in ANY kind of wiring (unless you really know what your doing) is because then you dont have a stereo anymore.

you get one giant speaker and all the effects of what channel (left\right\center\rear\front ect) are all combined - and that depth of music is thrown away.

if you want to get more power. find some 2ohm components (orionHCCA mids are 2ohm, image dynamics makes some 2ohm mids, so are the REXXX - but those are NOT component mids - i see them as more of a 3-way component setup rather than a 2 way - but thats IMO.

that is of course, you ARENT talking about having TWO sets of speakers on each "channel" of the car. for example, running two of those speakers together to 2 ohm, and installing them in the same location... like having two midbass speakers on the same door. otherwise DONT do it.

clear as mud
im sure you confused everyone - including myself. care to draw a picture? they seem to help quite a bit.

No. Since you would wire one "pair" (crossover, tweeter and mid) to each channel, each channel would be running at a 4ohm load. The only time the final impedence changes is when you are actually wiring the speakers together (either in series or in parallel). Since you aren't doing that with comp sets, each channel will simply "see" the impedence of the speakers connected directly to it.

im sure you confused everyone - including myself. care to draw a picture? they seem to help quite a bit.
I **** at explaining stuff //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Draw a picture of the xover slopes? LOL....my MSPaint skills are baaad. You're the photoshop queen (LMAO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif ), see if you can take that graph, and just slide the yellow line over so that it intersects the "200hz" line at -6db //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ill try to elaborate on it later. working ***** //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

//edit

i think i know what you were trying to explain. so ill get to work on that at like 12. (lunch)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.