6.5s off of HU power- Recommendations?

phenryiv1
10+ year member

Custom user title
Looking to replace the front door drivers with something that can run off of the HU for now. Open to coaxials or components. Budget is pretty tight, since I don't know what my long-term plans will be. $100(-ish) is about it.

Vehicle is a 2011 WRX 5DR (hatchback) with a Clarion CX609 HU that is about to be installed. HU is 14W RMS per channel according to specs, but take that for what it is worth. Current front speakers are factory components. Mounting depth of around 2" seems fine, but I can't find info on limitations due to tweeter protrusion. A quick browse on crutchfield showed that they list most things with a protruding tweeter as "Does Not Fit," but they could not give details on why, when I called and asked. (Example- Polk dB "slim" 6.5s fit, but the "regular" version does not, despite nearly identical mounting depths.)

Will be adding a small Clarion underseat sub for the short-term (carryover from my last vehicle), but may swap out for an 8" or 10" in a custom box (similar to a JL sealthbox) down the road.

Future options are undecided...

If I buy inexpensive components that sound pretty good, I may amplify what I buy with a small dedicated amp (no more than 50W per channel). If I buy some good coaxals, same deal. If I go with coaxials now and decide that I want more up front, I may move what I buy to the rear doors and upgrade later.

Logical budget choice is Polk dB coaxials (or even components), but I would not be asking here if I had made up my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Massive Audio SX 6 coaxials will suit your needs. They should sound good with HU power but you might find the midbass to be lacking at only 14W RMS per channel. No protruding tweeter and only 1.66" mounting depth.

The specs on the Massives look good.

What about the Crescendo CCX65 in coaxial mount? I see thet the tweeter protrusion is 5mm, so I need to see if that will be an issue, but they seem well-regarded.

If I go with the Polks, should I go with the 651s coaxials for now, or go straight to the 6501 component set?

If you're doing an amp at the same time I wouldn't hesitate to get components. It's more work to mount them but you get better sound right off the bat. If it's a no on the amp, then get coaxials. They'll be happier with head unit power and you'll be happier as a result.

Boston S Class are designed for low power systems and sound pretty good. I have some on HU power and have been happy with them.

They won't hold a candle to amp'd comps but for a low budget on HU they're pretty decent. eBay has them cheap.

My Pioneer D-series comps sound good off my Eclipse Hu with only 13 watts. The tweeters were a bit shrill on 0db, so I put it on -3db on the crossover. Sounds pretty sweet now.

The specs on the Massives look good.
What about the Crescendo CCX65 in coaxial mount? I see thet the tweeter protrusion is 5mm, so I need to see if that will be an issue, but they seem well-regarded.

If I go with the Polks, should I go with the 651s coaxials for now, or go straight to the 6501 component set?
go with crescendo. I have nothing but good things to say about them. love how they sound and they look sexi. :DDDDD

go with crescendo. I have nothing but good things to say about them. love how they sound and they look sexi. :DDDDD
I spoke with the Creschend folks and they do NOT recommmend running them off of HU power. I may try it anyway, but they are likely to sound lousy if I never amplify them properly.

Also, i am lazy and would prefer an in-line crossover to the seperate crossover, but it is not a non-starter.

I spoke with the Creschend folks and they do NOT recommmend running them off of HU power. I may try it anyway, but they are likely to sound lousy if I never amplify them properly.
Also, i am lazy and would prefer an in-line crossover to the seperate crossover, but it is not a non-starter.
I love my crescendos, so much that i ordered two more sets. I ran the first set on head unit power for awhile, no problems. They sound very nice for the price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.